Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best way to geotag photos with data from GPS Tracker Log (GPX format)?

I just returned from a 4 month trip to Southeast Asia. Before I left, I set the time on my camera, a Canon 7D, to match the GPS time on my GPS tracker, a QStarz BT-Q1000X. Both times were set to UTC, also known as GMT.

I have imported the data from the GPS log into Aperture as a GPX file. Now I would like to sync the location metadata on my photos with the data from the GPS log. How can I do this using Aperture 3?

I seem to be having two problems:

1. Aperture wants to shift the times based on which part of the track I drag the images onto. Since the camera and gps tracker times were sync'd, I do not want any shift.
  2. The time shifts that are displayed are 12 hours and a few minutes, rather than 0 hours and a few minutes.

A few additional notes:

• When I imported the GPS track, Aperture automatically changed the time zone of the track to Asia/Ho Chi Minh City, which is correct (GMT+7).
  • I have batch changed the images from Camera Time: UTC to Actual Time: GMT+7
  • The time on my computer is US/Eastern Daylight Time (GMT-4), or Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5) when the photos where taken.
  • Since I was gone for so long, and my GPS tracker memory is limited, I set the tracker to record a trackpoint once every 60 seconds.

Is there a solution to my problems using Aperture 3, or should I start looking for third party applications to geotag the photos before importing them into Aperture?

Thank you.

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 17, 2011 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2011 10:29 AM

Given a 12 hour discrepancy, could the issue simply be an AM/PM error?

I would recommend that you just let Aperture do its thing, and then check the locations on a few photos. If it's wrong, you can try again. If not, the problem is solved.

My approach to assigning locations is to import the GPX track, and drag a clearly identifiable photo to a point on that track. The best photo to choose will be one whose location is clearly known to you and taken at a place that you visited for a very short period of time.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2011 10:29 AM in response to porcelain

Given a 12 hour discrepancy, could the issue simply be an AM/PM error?

I would recommend that you just let Aperture do its thing, and then check the locations on a few photos. If it's wrong, you can try again. If not, the problem is solved.

My approach to assigning locations is to import the GPX track, and drag a clearly identifiable photo to a point on that track. The best photo to choose will be one whose location is clearly known to you and taken at a place that you visited for a very short period of time.

What is the best way to geotag photos with data from GPS Tracker Log (GPX format)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.