Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to get sound on tv through thunderbolt?

Connected my hdtv to my pro using the thunderbolt port and an HDMI cable. the picture works fine but the audio only plays from the pro and not my tv or stereo. How do i get the audio to play through my hdtv?

MacBook Pro, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 17, 2011 5:03 PM

5 replies

Jan 23, 2013 3:47 PM in response to bmiche3

I had the same issue today, 23 Jan 2013. In case anyone else sees this post like I did looking for an answer and has same issue here is worked for me. Under SYSTEM PREFERENCES> SOUND menu select sound effects. Play a sound effect on your computer. You should see the option to select your TV. Click it. Play a sound effect again and it should now be heard on you TV speakers. Go back to the window of the video you want to play the video... sound should now play through TV speakers. I am using a MacBookAir 2012 Thunderbolt Cable to HDMI. It is amazing! Not sure why it wouldn't play diectly by hiting play or selecting TV audio? I would get an error message say my TV did not support audio out controls.

Nov 8, 2013 3:40 PM in response to odilup

My thunderbolt adapter supports sound and my HDMI cable is one that I've had plugged into my Apple TV box, so I'm assuming that it works with sound. Yet no sound between computer and regular tv.

I do not have the option in Settings - Sounds to choose anything other than Apple TV or Internal speakers. I've also tried it on a different tv with a different HDMI cable, to the same end. No sound.

My MacBook Pro is 15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009 with OS 10.9

Help? 😟

Monoprice Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support

how to get sound on tv through thunderbolt?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.