Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Initiation error with DVD Player

DVD player is not working when I load a professional DVD into my Mac Mini. This is what happens when the disc is recognized:

User uploaded file

It does not appear to matter what disc I insert, I get the same response everytime.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 17, 2011 7:44 PM

7 replies

May 18, 2011 8:59 AM in response to brilehnhof

This is either a hardware problem with the optical drive, or less likely, a case of system corruption. I would either reinstall the OS, or install a fresh copy on an external drive, boot from it, and try again. If you still get the error, then something is wrong with the OD. You could also try the Apple Hardware Test, but I doubt it would give you the right answer.

Aug 4, 2011 11:19 AM in response to brilehnhof

My continued frustration with this problem lead me to an archived discussionhttps://discussions.apple.com/thread/2020977?start=0&tstart=0 This lead me to beleive I need to use the reset password to fully repair my permissions as contained there. Also while booted in the install disc, I performed a Repair Disc on the StartUp disc.

After all this, when I restarted, the DVD Player was able to play DVDmedia files completely.

So I quess I solved my own problem.

iMac 24" OS10.6.8

Initiation error with DVD Player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.