Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cd opens at start up (how do I stop that)

Hi All,

I am wondering how to get my Quad 2.5ghz G5 to stop opening it's door on start up (or is it always that way?)

Thanks

(I did search here as well)

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Late Quad 2.5ghz, 8gb ddr2/4200 ram

Posted on May 17, 2011 9:23 PM

2 replies

May 17, 2011 10:12 PM in response to jimwww

I'd try a PRAM reset first. Hold cmd-option-P-R key combination until you hear the second boot tone.

If that doesn't work, then maybe an NVRAM reset. Hold the cmd-optiion-O-F key combination until you get the white Open Firmware terminal screen. Then enter the following three commands (or maybe a fourth command):

If the tray has opened, then enter this command which should close it:

eject cd <enter>

In any event, the following three commands will reset the non-volatile RAM:

reset-nvram <enter>

set-defaults <enter>

reset-all <enter>

The last command reboots the machine.

May 17, 2011 10:24 PM in response to jimwww

There was a similar issue with many G4s years back.

The usual cause was an attached USB item, somehow sending or reflecting a signal during boot which the Mac interpreted as a Mouse-down signal. A Mouse-down signal during boot is an instruction to the Mac to eject all removable media - hence the tray opens.

The USB device in question could be most anything, often a tablet or a dongle or even an iMate adapter; in many cases a USB printer was the culprit.

Perhaps something like that is at play here. If this is the case, the only way to determine which item is doing it is to test via trial and error. Start with none - if the tray opening ceases, then you know its one of the additional items usually connected, and can spend extra time finding which it is. Once you find which one is doing it, one possible solution is to isolate it via a self-powered USB hub.

Cd opens at start up (how do I stop that)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.