Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 wifi vs iPhone 4

Hello,

I have an iPad 2 wifi and an iPhone 4 and I'm using the latest Airport Extreme for my network. I have noticed the wifi range and performance of my iPhone is superior to my iPad meaning it reaches further and less drop-outs. Is this what I can expect from my iPad or is there something I can change in my router? As far as I know the iPad runs off the 5ghz channel while the iPhone runs off the 2.4ghz...does this have anything to do with it or what can I do to improve things? Thanks!

rc

Posted on May 17, 2011 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2011 1:28 AM

5GHz is much more susceptible to issues with walls and other kinds of blockages.

The general trade-off is less interference on 5GHz from other wireless devices (cordless phones, microwaves etc), but shorter range.

I'd suggest experimenting by setting the Airport to use 2.4GHz only (or 5GHz only) and see what effects there are

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2011 1:28 AM in response to rick722

5GHz is much more susceptible to issues with walls and other kinds of blockages.

The general trade-off is less interference on 5GHz from other wireless devices (cordless phones, microwaves etc), but shorter range.

I'd suggest experimenting by setting the Airport to use 2.4GHz only (or 5GHz only) and see what effects there are

iPad 2 wifi vs iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.