Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iPhone - Blocked IMEI, Find My iPhone - No Location

Hey,

I had my iPhone stolen from the male locker room at work, contacted 02 they have blocked the IMEI number. I have also contacted the police and the hotel management know... I also have MobileMe. NOW: The Find My iPhone has been set up with the iPhone but when I go to track it, it says there is no location available.

Is this because the IMEI is block? Is it because the iPhone has been turned off? - anyone know the inner workingsof the Find My iPhone.

Posted on May 18, 2011 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2011 2:37 AM

All a thief has to do is turn your phone off to defeat Find my Phone. If you didn't passcode protect the phone, a thief can go into settings and turn Find my Phone off. Restoring your phone as a new device will also defeat Find my Phone.

9 replies

Feb 23, 2015 8:01 AM in response to mysupportprofile.com

If you didn't enable iCloud before it was stolen there is no way to locate the phone. A phone cannot be located by IMEI.

Also note that this is a public forum with several million users that is also indexed by every search engine, so the whole world now knows your IMEI. It's not a good idea to post personal information like that.

Jul 26, 2011 4:19 PM in response to modular747

I've just gotten off the phone with Telstra (Australian telco my mobile/cell is with) and they confimed with me that reporting the mobile phone as stolen and having the IMEI number blocked, blocks that phone from mobile phone networks world wide (not just in Australia).

Shame that Apple don't offer ability to block the phone from itunes as that would be best way to locate the phone instead of preventing it to be used on 3g/gsm networks.

Cheers,

Max

Stolen iPhone - Blocked IMEI, Find My iPhone - No Location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.