Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong character count in SMS

When I compose a new SMS, the character count is wrong, because special characters take more space than normal ones.

As an example, if a regular SMS takes 160 characters, if I use special characters such as á, é, €… the same SMS will take more characters and therefore they will bill me for 2 SMS, or more instead of one.

Sorry for my poor English but it is not my mother tongue 🙂

Posted on May 18, 2011 1:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2011 1:43 AM

That's correct. Special characters (unicode) in SMS do use more space, so as soon as you use one special character, the number of available characters drops to 70 instead of 160.

So, to only be charged for 1 SMS when using special characters, make sure the SMS is less than 70 characters.

10 replies

May 18, 2011 2:42 AM in response to Carola Clavo

I see what you mean now.

Skype counts the number of 7-bit characters a message takes regardless of whether the SMS is sent as 7-bit or 16-bit (Unicode).

iPhone counts the number of 7-bit characters a message takes if the SMS is sent as 7-bit, and counts the number of Unicode characters a message takes if the SMS is sent as Unicode.

Personally, I think the iPhone behaviour is correct, as 7-bit and 16-bit (Unicode) SMS have different character limits so the iPhone shows you the correct limit depending on the type of SMS you are sending. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS#Message_size

There's no way to change this though.

May 18, 2011 2:50 AM in response to Julian Wright

I see this is by design, but there is a difference in the bill, if I send 30 or 60 SMS because I send special characters. I know the quick solution is to avoid sending this characters, but the application should be smart enough to count the characters I'm being billed as this is all the purpose of character counting in my humble opinion.

So, iPhone is doing it right counting 7-bit characters, but not OK counting the "real characters I'm paying for" which is more important to me. I guess no one cares about how many characters takes to say something just for the quantity's sake unless they are using Twitter 😀 I hope my explanation was quite clear!

This should be a bug, not a feature, in my very humble opinion 🙂

Wrong character count in SMS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.