Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory." What does this mean and what should I do?

"Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory." What does this mean and what should I do?

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 18, 2011 6:20 AM

10 replies

May 18, 2011 7:24 AM in response to cherylfromsaratoga

Open Activity Monitor in Utilites. Go to System Memory. Down at the bottom, what are you seeing for Page ins, Page outs, and Swap used?

Next to the pie chart, what are you seeing for Free and Inactive? (Ignore VM size.)

You probably need to free up some drive space (minimum 10-15% free of available), but I'm guessing you also need more RAM.

Message was edited by: WZZZ

May 18, 2011 7:32 AM in response to Allan Eckert

"Application memory" message can mean no room on drive for swap. Not the same as "Startup disk is full." So, AFAIK, it can mean both drive space and RAM needed.

This provides for considerably more flexibility in terms of managing RAM amongst many processes. However, with this approach, it is possible that swap files could grow to the point where all free space on your disk is consumed by them. This can happen if you are very low on both RAM and free disk space.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/462325?answerId=2232469022#2232469022&messageID=2232469&

Dr. Smoke on Virtual Memory.

May 18, 2011 7:33 AM in response to WZZZ

Editing is not working today. Dr, Smoke on Virtual Memory.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/462325?answerId=2232469022#2232469022&messageID=2232469&

This provides for considerably more flexibility in terms of managing RAM amongst many processes. However, with this approach, it is possible that swap files could grow to the point where all free space on your disk is consumed by them. This can happen if you are very low on both RAM and free disk space.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.