Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting the message "the photo library was created with an unreleased version of iphoto. I have reinstalled but still get the message. What do I need to do?

I have had my iBook for years with iPhoto on and then suddenly today I get the message "The photo library was created with an unreleased version of iPhoto. Please quit and upgrade this photo library by opening it in iPhoto 2 or iPhoto 4. I reinstalled iPhoto but nothing has changed. What do I need to do to get it working again? Help!!

iBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on May 18, 2011 6:26 AM

6 replies

May 18, 2011 7:48 AM in response to louisey

Try these in order - from best option on down...

1. Do you have an up-to-date back up? If so, try copy the library6.iphoto file from the back up to the iPhoto Library (Right Click -> Show Package Contents) allowing it to overwrite the damaged file.

2. Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

3. If neither of these work then you'll need to create and populate a new library.

To create and populate a new *iPhoto 08* library:

Note this will give you a working library with the same Events and pictures as before, however, you will lose your albums, keywords, modified versions, books, calendars etc.

In the iPhoto Preferences -> Events Uncheck the box at 'Imported Items from the Finder'

Move the iPhoto Library to the desktop

Launch iPhoto. It will ask if you wish to create a new Library. Say Yes.

Go into the iPhoto Library (Right Click -> Show Package Contents) on your desktop and find the Originals folder. From the Originals folder drag the individual Event Folders to the iPhoto Window and it will recreate them in the new library.

When you're sure all is well you can delete the iPhoto Library on your desktop.

In the future, in addition to your usual back up routine, you might like to make a copy of the library6.iPhoto file whenever you have made changes to the library as protection against database corruption.

May 18, 2011 10:47 AM in response to louisey

I'm not having a problem with iPhoto right now, and I have Time Machine backups.

I would like to know if it is a good idea to make an extra copy of the library6.iPhoto file to adisk once and awhile too. I am using iPhoto 11. It just seems that so many people have issues with iPhoto and I want to be sure my photos are protected. I'm thinking of getting an extra external drive to periodically make a 2nd backup of my entire library - maybe with every download of new photos.

May 18, 2011 11:12 AM in response to Tyrkitty

The iPhoto 11 library is a very different structure to the iPhoto 08 one, so, no, backing up that file won't help in your case. iPhoto makes an automatica back up of the database file anyway since 09. You need to make a back up of the Library.

I'm thinking of getting an extra external drive to periodically make a 2nd backup of my entire library - maybe with every download of new photos.

That's a very good idea.

FWIW my back up plan:

My Library lives on my iMac. It’s Backed up to two external hard disks every day. These disks are permanently attached to the iMac. These back ups run automatically. One is done by Time Machine, one is a bootable back up done by SuperDuper

It’s also backed up to a portable hard disk when ever new photos are added. This hard disk lives in my car. For security, this disk is password protected.

I have a second off-site back up at a relative’s house across town. That’s updated every 3 or 4 months.

My Photos are backed up online. There are many options: Flickr, Picasa, SmugMug etc. However, check the terms of your account carefully. While most sites have free uploading, you will often find that these uploads are limited in terms of the file size or the bandwidth you can use per month. For access that allows you to upload full size pics with no restrictions you may need to pay.

Every couple of months I test the back ups to make sure they are working correctly. It’s very easy to mis-configure a back up application, and the only way to protect against that is to do a trial restore.

Regards

TD

I keep getting the message "the photo library was created with an unreleased version of iphoto. I have reinstalled but still get the message. What do I need to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.