Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ichat cant send pictures or files?

when i drag the picture to the ichat, it shows for me but not to the person im talking to. I cant send files either? Help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 18, 2011 9:17 AM

1 reply

May 18, 2011 1:04 PM in response to sherryyi

Hi,

I take it this is from an AIM Buddy list (Includes @mac.com and MobileMe names) to an AIM Buddy.

iChat by default logs in to the AIM Server on port 5190 using the TCP Protocol.

You can change this port in the iChat Preferences > Accounts > Server Setting tab when logged out.

We suggest port 443

iChat also uses port 5190 on the UDP Protocol to do anything with File Transfers.

If you or your Buddy do not have port 5190 open for the UDP Protocol you will not be able to Send or Receive files. (Pics-in-Chats are just a form of File Sending)

You also cannot do Direct IMs (you will notice you get a grey message about the chat changing to Direct IM when you try sending a file).

One test you can do is to drop the file on the Buddy's name in the Buddy List as this is an alternative method of Sending. (If a Chat is open to the same Buddy it will still appear in their Chat a a File link to click - whether it is a pic or a file). You can use this method to send a file to someone you are not chatting with.

Some routers have issues with ichat using port 5190 twice as it were (Zyxels are worst) which is why we suggest changing the Login port.

Depending on your router and how you have opened ports for iChat you may have to tweak the settings there as well.

I would use UPnP if the device has it as it also allows you to Screen Share in iChat 4 and 5

This would mean disabling any Port Forwarding that you have set up.

User uploaded file
9:04 PM Wednesday; May 18, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.7)
 Mac OS X (10.6.7),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

>

ichat cant send pictures or files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.