Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5 2.7 Dual - refilling coolant

I need to replace the coolant in my G5 2.7. I have seen the info at 'xlr8yourmac.com', It's been a great help to me and I have managed to remove the LCS, remove the 'rice' crystals from the heat sinks but the description on refilling the LCS with new coolant is too vague for me to understand

Has anyone done this or have a link to a site where I can go? Please let me know.

G5 Dual 2.7, Mac OS X (10.4.3), ATI Radeon 9650, 4.5GB

Posted on May 18, 2011 11:51 AM

5 replies

May 19, 2011 9:36 AM in response to Skorpan

Anthony,

Thanx for the specific reference. Section 37 gives the instructions about filling but refers to illustration 39. A tad confusing at first. Here is the paragraph for reference:

37) My method of refilling the coolant was as follows:

1. Disconnect the hose at the radiator input port (furthest upper hose in Figure 39).
  2. Insert the plastic coolant bottle's tapered cap, opened, upside down, into the temporarily bent-up upper hose connected to the coolant pump output.
  3. Squeeze the bottle. This forces coolant into and through the pump, through both heat transfer modules, and into the bottom of the radiator. Continue squeezing until the radiator fills and coolant appears at the top (input) port of the radiator.
  4. Pull the bottle out of the hose, which should be full to the end, quickly lower it into position and push it onto the radiator input port

If there is air remaining in the system, it should be a very small amount (see discussion at end of this article).

The author leaves out some important information so it is understandable that you are confused. Also, the pictures are not from the same angle so you have to mentally rotate the images to keep track of the path of the fluid through the tubes. If someone has a schematic handy, that would be great. Otherwise, if you look back to paragraph 34/image 36, it talks about the hose installation. Then image 37 shows the radiator output path. Later, the author talks about the embosed arrow on the coolant pump. That indicates the flow.

If you connect every hose back up as shown in picture 39, then disconnect one of the ends of that hose, you now have an in and an out. That is what the author left out. Push water in one end and it should come out the other.

The author makes it quite clear that the pump is handling hot fluid so the pump is the last point before the coolant goes back into the radiator. It is odd that the tip of the coolant bottle is placed into the hose and pushed backwards through the pump. My inclination would be to push the fluid into the radiator and when it comes out of the pump, it is going the same direction as the pumping action. When fluid spills out, you are done.

So my recommendation would be to verify the direction offlow. If the flow is in fact out of the pump and into the top of the radiator as illustrated in picture 39, then undo the hose that is at the very top of picture 39 but leave it connected to the radiator, not connected to the aluminum tube that comes out of the pump. Insert the tip of the bottle into the hose and force fluid through the radiator, modules and finally through the pump in the normal direction of flow. Do this at your own risk because I do not have a service manual to read on the pump. It just does not make sense to me that the pump pushes fluid one way and you refill against the normal flow of the pump.

When fluid comes out the tube from the pump, continue until there is a steady flow of fluid with no air bubbles. Then quickly reattach the hose to the tube.

Hopefully that is clearer than mud. Maybe muddy water instead.

Jim~

May 19, 2011 9:52 AM in response to Appaloosa mac man

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Your description makes me feel more confident that I can do this fix.

I appreciate your time and patience and will mark this question as answered.

I live in Sweden (not such a big Mac market here) so it may take me some time to source the O-Rings and coolant, but when I get there I will let you know how it went.

With best regards

Anthony

G5 2.7 Dual - refilling coolant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.