Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Extender with Verizon - can I use an Airport Express or Extreme?

I was told by Verizon that if I had a network extender that my high speed internet can plug into, then I would be able to get a cell phone signal wherever my wireless signal from my extender could reach. I will be purchasing a Macbook and an iPad in two weeks and would rather purchase an apple product instead of the Verizon Network Extender. I want to know if the the Express or Extreme will do the same thing as the Verizon Network Extender.

The Verizon salesman told me the Extender 'creates' a cell phone signal using my high speed internet, where I cannot get a signal (all through my house - I live in a rural area).

Airport Express-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on May 18, 2011 11:59 AM

8 replies

Jul 20, 2012 4:28 PM in response to augustbookworm

My Verizon Network Extender would not work with my Time Capsule. I solved the problem by connecting the DSL modem directly to a D-Link switch. The Verizon NE and my time capsule are connected to the switch by ethernet cable. My other Apple devices are connected to the Time Capsule. Hope this works with your AirPort. In cell phone dead zones the wireless extender can save the day.

Jul 20, 2012 7:43 PM in response to augustbookworm

You need TWO Airport units, one to function as the main radio and the other to function as an extender. I used two Express units.

Configuration is simple if you start from a factory default condition. Then connect the main Airport to AC power and finally to the Internet modem (or modem/router). Open Airport Utility on your Mac or other computer and accept all of the recommendations. After confirming that it works, insert your desired administrative and WiFi passwords.

Then connect the extender to AC power. As before, open Airport Express on your Mac or other computer and accept all of the recommendations. No need to add password info.

Do not expect the Airport to respond instantly to the configuration commands. BE PATIENT!

Jul 20, 2012 7:59 PM in response to Philly_Phan

@ Philly_Phan : I believe you misunderstand the intent of the original question. He wants to connect a device called the Verizon Network Extender to an Airport/Time Capsule network to extend his cellular telephone coverage, he doesn't want to extend his WiFi network. The Verizon Network Extender connects to your high speed Internet service, pukes out a local cellular signal, and routes the call through your ISP. Useful when you live in rural areas with poor cellular service.

Jan 11, 2015 8:50 PM in response to augustbookworm

I Have used a Verizon Network Extender for 5 years to extend my Iphone cellular service. I just ordered a new one as my old one quit. I gave been told that the Extemder will not work with Airport Express router, so I am hooking it up to a Linkysys router and then plugging my Airport Express into my Linkysys. Hopefully this will work. You have to purchase the Extender from Verizon or whatever cellular service you use and hook it up to your router. Thus eill give your cell phone full service in weak areas.

Network Extender with Verizon - can I use an Airport Express or Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.