Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

COG wheel spinning continuously, Computer is very slow

Hello all,

My computer has been increasingly becoming slower and slower. The cog wheel is continuously spinning, then it will stop and I will be able to navigate the website I am on and it will return for another few more seconds. At othertimes I will be typing and it wont show up but I will continue to type and it will appear a few seconds later. Has anyone ever expiernced this? I have rebooted and it will correct the issue for an hour, then it will happen again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running a late 2008 macbook with 2.4 GHZ Intel core 2 Duo (2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Mac OS X v. 10.6.7)

Thank you

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 18, 2011 4:23 PM

5 replies

May 19, 2011 1:32 PM in response to ErinFaulk

How much RAM do you have?

If you are on youtube a lot that will effect it because the flash player uses a lot of cpu

To check the cpu usage go to Activity Monitor

Sort the stuff by cpu and if you see any programs that are using a lot of cpu you can quit those. One tip though is to only quit apps. Kernel tasks and other stuff like that that don't have icons you shouldn't quit or forcequit.

COG wheel spinning continuously, Computer is very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.