Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP: 160GB Classic Constantly Corrupting after multiple Restores

Cheers to all you Apple Pros here in this forum,

I'm hoping to ask for a bit of help in dealing with my trusty and trusted iPod CLASSIC 160GB / Black.

So, I've had this Classic for about 18 Months so sadly it's out of warranty.

I use the iPod more as an EXTERNAL DRIVE for transporting files between my STUDIO and HOME computers.

I received an ERROR message on my Studio computer that the iPod had become CORRUPTED and needed to be restored.

The music was still on the iPod - it just wouldn't show up in iTunes.

I came home and RESTORED THE IPOD to whatever the latest firmware is and then proceeded to load up the 100GB of working files or so I had backed up from the iPod. It worked for a few days then CORRUPTED AGAIN!

I RESTORED yet again and placed only MINIMAL MUSIC and FILES on it - it seemed fine for a few days and just today, when connected to my STUDIO COMPUTER - it essentially DISCONNECTED ITSELF and when I went to reconnect IT WAS CORRUPTED !

I'm not sure how to do more of a HARD RESET or RESTORE.

WHAT CAN I DO WITH THIS ? I feel like it's not a HardWare issue - could my ITUNES or the FIRMWARE be corrupted ?

I read in a post from 2007 that I should try to revert firmware - i'm not sure how relevant that is now...

ANY SUGGESTIONS ? I'd really like to save this iPOD - he's been a dear friend and even though it's been said that he's corruptible - I know there's a good side to him 🙂 !

THANKS IN ADVANCE !

iPod classic, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 160GB

Posted on May 18, 2011 5:36 PM

2 replies

Jun 6, 2011 2:39 PM in response to aerolex

Hi Areolex,

I work for Dr Pod, an iPod repair company.

It sounds like your hard drive is dying. Sadly, no software can fix this - the hard drive would require replacing. Are you in the UK? This would usually cost around £100 for a new drive, which my company could do for you. As your iPod is 19 months old, it is out of warranty, and Apple would charge you for any repairs. If you are near an Apple Store, you could always take it and see if a Genius would be willing to repair for you. You need to book an appointment for this.

In short, the iPod needs a new hard drive, which is a hardware issue.

I hope that I have helped. Please get back to me if you need any more assistance,

Mark Sweeney

Dr Pod Founder

HELP: 160GB Classic Constantly Corrupting after multiple Restores

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.