Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Realizing mid reinstall that I'm losing my data. Help!

I was trying to reset my password and ended up accidentally reinstalling my operating system. After doing so, I realized that I was probably losing my data, so I tried to stop the process by selecting quit. I was eventually prompted to pick a startup location, chose the hard drive option and then got the dialog box "You can't change the startup disk to the selected disk, the bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk." I've just left the dialog box up there, and my computer is plugged in. I'm just wondering if there's any hope in this situation. I have a bunch of photos on there that haven't been backed up (I know, dumb!!) I made a genius appointment, but I'm anxious to hear if you think I may be able to recover my photos. Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 18, 2011 10:48 PM

1 reply

May 20, 2011 12:52 PM in response to mollyCM

Just in case someone else needs this answer, turns out that reinstalling Snow Leopard (just pressing continue through the reinstall process) doesn't erase data from your hard drive. All is well. But be smarter than I was and back up all your data anyway before fooling around with the operating system disc. Back up your data regardless. That's what I'm doing right now!

Realizing mid reinstall that I'm losing my data. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.