Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are the hotmail reply-to addresses incorrect?

I've setup my Exchange account for hotmail correctly as far as I can tell:

Email: fully specified address with username@hotmail.com

Server: m.live.com

Domain: blank

Username: just my email username

Password: correct one

However, on both my phone and my daughters, the iPhone will not accept the setup and resolve the account correctly unless Ireplace the username with the entire email address. At that point, I can get mail.

The problem is that the "reply-to" address for all emails from the iPhone for this account is setup as: username@hotmail.com@hotmail.com

Obviously people cannot use reply to any of my hotmail messages and not get an error. This is frustrating since these are my non-techie colleagues and friends.

I have been through several software updates and am using the latest OS (4.3.3). No joy.

Dave...

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 19, 2011 7:51 AM

8 replies

Oct 26, 2011 10:34 AM in response to david from bainbridge island

Wow... it seems that it is in Apple's interest to keep the bug alive. To get people away from Hotmail (onto their iCloud email). I've left Hotmail many years ago in favoror of Gmail (interestingly... ONLY due to the first iPhone which did not work with hotmail at all, Microsoft's fault though). This case is my wife's email though, she's still with Hotmail, but the hotmail option works ok, so just ignore Exchange and you're set. It seems to be pushing email even w the standard hotmail option (or other or whatever it's called).

Oct 26, 2011 10:41 AM in response to david from bainbridge island

I have been using hotmail on iphone for a while until i finally merged all into gmail.

(means I keep two accounts but gmail polls hotmail and iphone only knows about gmail).

I have never faced such issue but maybe this is because of a slight difference in settings.

when configuring iPhone email account, use the Exchange account type.

in server I have never used "m.live.com" but rather "m.hotmail.com".

and in username field, always put my complete hotmail.com address (or live.com address).

hope this could help

md

Oct 26, 2011 11:04 AM in response to david from bainbridge island

Thanks for the suggestions and commiseration everybody.

I can confirm that my son's iPhone 4 is also successfully using gmail and my colleagues at work with other services do not have an issue.

Yes, indeed, this is a hotmail only bug and since the client generates the reply-to, I have to assume that it is Apple poking MS in the eye... again.

Dave...

Why are the hotmail reply-to addresses incorrect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.