Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command Key is not working properly

My Command key is corrupted and when I type command-v I get a checkmark. I must have mistakenly changed a preference by some series of keystrokes but can't figure out what I did. Help!

2009 iMac 2.66 Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GBHD, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 19, 2011 9:57 AM

3 replies

May 19, 2011 10:21 AM in response to momomentous

I'm adding to my earlier question: it appears that Command and Option are switched - don't know how this happened. I have been using a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard for almost a year and this is the first time this happened. If I do "option c" then I can copy text - similarly paste is "option v" instead of "command v".

My keyboard settings are correct in system preferences - they haven't been remapped, etc.

May 19, 2011 10:26 AM in response to momomentous

I guess I found the "solution." I went into System Preferences - Keyboard and Mouse - Keyboard - Modifier Keys - and I switched the modifier keys. Now Command is set to be Option and vice versa. And things seem to be working now. Command-Tab enables me to see the programs that are running etc. And the "checkmark" of "√" is creeated by doing an Option V which is apparently the default from what I read. So all is well I guess.

Has anyone else had this problem with the Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000?

Jun 16, 2011 10:07 PM in response to momomentous

I just purchased a new iMac and in the process of getting everything set up, I experienced the same problem. I use the Alt key on the keyboard as the Apple Command key and the Windows key on the keyboard as the Apple option key. For my Microsoft keyboard at least, those keys are in the same corresponding location as the keys on the Apple Wireless Keyboard, but I had to reverse the Command and Option settings just like you did.

Command Key is not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.