Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't save Numbers spreadsheet

When I reorganize a numbers spreadsheet, I can't save the file. I get an error message saying that "it cannot be saved." Using "save as" generates the same error. Anybody have a clue what's going on? I'm using an iMac (intel) with OSX 10.6.7.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 19, 2011 9:16 AM

5 replies

May 19, 2011 9:48 AM in response to efromconifer

Can you tell us more about your situation? What was the original OS X version on your computer? How did you upgrade to 10.6.7 if you didn't purchase it at that rev.? What is your Numbers version? (2.0.5 is the current version of Numbers.)

What is the source of your content? Was it an Excel import? Is it from a financial program export to xls?

Jerry

May 19, 2011 10:30 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

It's a relatively new computer and came with OSX 10.6.7.

I'm using Numbers 09, ver 2.0.5.

This is a spreadsheet that I created in Numbers. It has eight sheets that are interconnected. The formulas are not complex. I've used some conditional formatting in the header rows. I'm also using footer rows. There are simple graph charts (not 3D) based on spreadsheet data, but no other graphics. I did not use any links or shapes or other graphics. I would call it a simple multi-page spreadsheet with simple graphs.

At the moment it is not a large spreadsheet. Each sheet has no more than 15 rows and columns.

I can't find anything that would cause a save failure after reorganizing. It's puzzling and very annoying.

May 19, 2011 12:40 PM in response to efromconifer

You did a nice job of describing your condition. Sorry that I can't offer a solution or explanation. The only thing you didn't mention was whether you have run Software Update and accepted the Font Fix for 10.6.7, but I'm not sure if there is a connection there or not.

You may have triggered a bug, but not one that I've seen described here before. It's always possible that a particular document becomes corrupt, but if it's happening to all it's not so likely.

Go ahead and report using Feedback from the Numbers menu.

Perhaps someone else will reply with experience or insight on this issue.

Jerry

Can't save Numbers spreadsheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.