Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More Forum Suggestions

1. Why is it when I'm reading Q & A in a forum (Logic Pro to be specific) and wish to add to a discussion, my Sign On takes me out of the forum to a generic Apple information page? This takes extra mouse clicks and is discouraging for those trying to be of help. "Sign on" should put you back right where you were.

2. The whole Community/Forum is 50% (at minimum) slower than it used to be.

3. It's now impossible to read posted crash logs.

Take a look for yourself.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3067229

To answer questions at least regarding Pro Apps we need to be able to read crash logs, we could before why not now?

4. Previously, the forum would save drafts of the post being written, nice feature... can it be incorporated?

Oh boy... we can add smiley's, now how about some added functionality. The old forum was easier to navigate an looked more professional.

pancenter-

Posted on May 19, 2011 10:38 AM

52 replies

May 19, 2011 1:32 PM in response to Peggy

Hi Peggy,

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure which part of my list you're responding to.

What I've posted are differences.

I've been here for approx three years, all the behavior I posted is different (and less functional) than the previous forum software.

Is the software really named "Jive"?

In most circles that means a load of b.s.

hehe...

pancenter-

May 19, 2011 2:22 PM in response to Pancenter

Yes, the software really is named Jive - Jive SBS, to be precise. "Jive" has other meanings besides BS or nonsense. Look up Jive on-line; one example is "jive cat".

Your item #1 - I don't thaink that behavior is intended. If you examoine the URL of the page you initially are looking at before you log in, and then the URL of the page you are sent to after login, you'll see an extra element - "index.jspa/" - has been stuck into the middle of the URL, making it an unreachable address. This certainly looks like a software error.

If you enter ASC via a link to its homepage, and log in from there, the extra element doesn't interfere - it's there, but you are returned to the homepage (more precisely, to your personalized homepage if you have done that) anyway.

Item #2 - I don't notice that. Rarely do I experience any delays in navigating. Of course, what I consider acceptable speed (pageloads in 5 to 8 seconds) may not be aceptable to someone else; and thread lengths do make a difference.

Item #3 - That's been reported and discussed a few times. Hosts have not indicated what they may be able to do about it.

Item #4 - Wouldn't be surprised if that might be in the works, but the Hosts have not promised it.

May 19, 2011 2:53 PM in response to Don Archibald

Don,

First, thanks for the reply,

Don Archibald wrote:

Yes, the software really is named Jive - Jive SBS, to be precise. "Jive" has other meanings besides BS or nonsense. Look up Jive on-line; one example is "jive cat".

Your item #1 - I don't thaink that behavior is intended. If you examoine the URL of the page you initially are looking at before you log in, and then the URL of the page you are sent to after login, you'll see an extra element - "index.jspa/" - has been stuck into the middle of the URL, making it an unreachable address. This certainly looks like a software error.

If you enter ASC via a link to its homepage, and log in from there, the extra element doesn't interfere - it's there, but you are returned to the homepage (more precisely, to your personalized homepage if you have done that) anyway.

Item

#3 - That's been reported and discussed a few times. Hosts have not indicated what they may be able to do about it.

Yes, I'm a 40 year professional musican, "Jive Cat" usually means someone who can't cut it, dig?

Here's an example (ref #1) of what I'm talking about.

I almost always hang out and answer questions here.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/logic_pro

If I go there, read messages, decide I want to reply and go to "Sign In" at the top of the page, I sign in and am immediately whisked here:

https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa/index.jspa

This surely can't be right, not only do I have to navigate back to the Logic forum, I have to find and open the message I was previously reading.

This is new behavior, the previous forum software signed us in and left us right where we were.

Incidently, when I sign out, I'm also taken to the index page. Doesn't make any sense.

Regarding #3, this feature is sorely needed in ProApps, crash logs are how we diagnose serious problems.

Nothing strains a computer more than a DAW (digital audio workstation) and Logic is a bear of a program, that taxes memory, graphics, harddrives, cpu and OS behavior.

thanks again-

pancenter-

May 19, 2011 6:48 PM in response to Pancenter

Pancenter wrote:

Here's an example (ref #1) of what I'm talking about.

I almost always hang out and answer questions here.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/logic_pro

If I go there, read messages, decide I want to reply and go to "Sign In" at the top of the page, I sign in and am immediately whisked here:

https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa/index.jspa

This surely can't be right, not only do I have to navigate back to the Logic forum, I have to find and open the message I was previously reading.

This is new behavior, the previous forum software signed us in and left us right where we were.

Incidently, when I sign out, I'm also taken to the index page. Doesn't make any sense.

Yes, it is new behavior.

There is a workaround. Before logging in, go look at what you want to. When you decide you want to reply to something, and so need to log in, open the log in screen in a tab (in Safari, hold down the Command key while you click on the 'log in' link). Log in. Once you are taken wherever that sends you, close that tab (Command-W). Then refresh the page containing the thread you have open (Command-R). The page will refesh, giving you the exact same view you had before except that you will be logged in, hence can reply.

May 19, 2011 10:07 PM in response to Don Archibald

Don Archibald wrote:

"Jive cat" used to mean someone exceptional, someone who was 'with it'.

In the Wikipedia definition page for "Jive", there are far more positive meanings than negative ones -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jive

Sorry, Don, I think you're jiving me.

It most often means empty meaningless talk, or when said about a musician it means the same thing about the way they play. In 40 years of playing professionally I've never heard it used to compliment someone.

Besides... it's not really important, I just thought it was an odd name for a software company.

1. swing music or early jazz.

2. the jargon associated with swing music and early jazz.

3. Slang . deceptive, exaggerated, or meaningless talk: Don't give me any of that jive! .

4. to play jive.

5. to dance to jive; jitterbug.

6. Slang . to engage in kidding, teasing, or exaggeration. .

7. Slang . to tease; fool; kid: Stop jiving me!

8. Slang . insincere, pretentious, or deceptive.

And.......

( intr) to dance the jive
1.a style of lively and jerky dance performed to jazz and, later, to rock and roll, popular esp in the 1940s and 1950s
2.Also called: jive talk a variety of American slang spoken chiefly by Black people, esp jazz musicians
3.a.slangchiefly( US) deliberately misleading or deceptive talk

b. ( as modifier ): jive talk

5.slangchiefly( US) to mislead; tell lies (to)

pancenter-

May 19, 2011 10:18 PM in response to Ronda Wilson

Ronda Wilson wrote:

I always (ALWAYS) sign in before I attempt to browse any discussions in order to avoid that annoyance.

It makes answering questions a pita, surely this is something they can fix. Right now signing in or out from anyplace on the forum should not direct you to a generic welcome page that is several mouse clicks away from the post a I was going to reply to. If that the way it's going to work why do they have a "sign on" link on every page? A lot of us are basically supplying free software support for Apple, it seems they really wouldn't want to make this more difficult for those willing to help.

I guess signing in before doing anything is the only way to go at this time, very inefficient compared to the old software.

pancenter-

May 20, 2011 12:18 AM in response to Don Archibald

Don Archibald wrote:

"Jive cat" used to mean someone exceptional, someone who was 'with it'.

In the Wikipedia definition page for "Jive", there are far more positive meanings than negative ones -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jive

Don, look it up in the Mac's Oxford American dictionary.

Origin: 1920s (originally U.S. denoting meaningless or misleading speech)

Unfortunately, Wikipedia has things wrong almost as much as it has things right.

pancenter-

More Forum Suggestions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.