Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can apple replace the Core II Duo with an Intel i7 processor?

To All,

I just bought my Macbook Pro about 6 months ago, and as fate would have it.....Apple came out and released the Macbook Pro with an Intel i7 processor shortly thereafter. Mine still has the legacy Core II Duo processor onboard. Is there any chance I can send it in to someone to purchase and update the chipset?

Thanks for the help,

-User Who Just Wants to Update His Hardware

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.3.x), SSD, 8 GB RAM

Posted on May 19, 2011 1:20 PM

3 replies

May 19, 2011 1:26 PM in response to brockfromvirginia beach

Hi Brock,

Due to the nature that Apple constructs their notebooks it is not possible to upgrade the CPU. It is not a modular component like they are on most desktops. Portables, due to their smaller size will not have many modular components, if any, because doing so would increase the physical size of the circuit boards.

As such, regrettably, you're stuck with the Intel Core 2 Duo.

May 19, 2011 1:30 PM in response to brockfromvirginia beach

No-can-do... unfortunately. For starters, processors in most laptops are soldered onto the logic board... they cannot be replaced like desktop systems. I'm guessing you have a 13" as that was the only model that had a Core 2 Duo six months ago and now offers the i7 (the 15 and 17" machines all had "i" series processors then). Even if your processor were removable, the new "i" series processors are not compatible with the logic board in your current machine. They use different chipsets and the newer i7 in the 13" MacBook Pro has in integrated GPU where your logic board has it's own dedicated GPU... your system wouldn't know what to do.

This is a very brief and super generic explanation... In general, it just can't be done.

Can apple replace the Core II Duo with an Intel i7 processor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.