Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with ACL group Permissions

We are having issues with ACL group permissions. When a user is added to group which has permissions to a folder they do not receive those permissions.

If we add the user as an individual to the ACL then it works fine. I have been doing some searching and some other people who are reporting this issue report that if you restart the server the new group permissions for the user are fixed. Obviously this is not a solution in a production environment with dozens of people accessing the server. There must be some way to get the server to refresh the group information so these permissions become active in some kind of timely fashion.

What we are trying to accomplish is a read only directory that we occasionally need to let a number of users into read/write so they can add content to the directory. There is one group in the ACL that has read only and one that has read/write. All of my users are part of the read only group and that works fine to limit their access to read only. But I have another group with read/write access and I would like to just add users to that group to give them read/write to the directory but that is not working. At least not in a timely fashion. If I add the user individually and give them read/write they have it immediately.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 19, 2011 1:55 PM

3 replies

Jul 13, 2011 12:41 PM in response to jjasper

I repaired all the permissions on the user account directories and this fixed my issues with share folder permissions for some reason.

Here is a script that will do it all in one go. Change /Volumes/XXXX/Users/ to where you users directory is. chmod the script to 755 and run with sudo and it will fix the user directory permissions for all accounts.

#!/bin/sh

#

# This shell script needs to be run as super-user

#

for i in /Volumes/XXXX/Users/*

do

u=`echo $i | cut -d/ -f5`

case $u in

Shared)

;;

Temporary)

;;

*)

/usr/sbin/chown -R $u:staff $i

/bin/chmod -R 700 $i

;;

esac

done

do

case $u in

Shared)

;;

Temporary)

;;

*)

/usr/sbin/chown $u:staff $i

/bin/chmod 755 $i

;;

esac

done

/usr/sbin/chown -R 'root':wheel '/Users/Shared'

/bin/chmod -R 777 '/Users/Shared'

do

case $u in

Shared)

;;

Temporary)

;;

*)

/usr/sbin/chown -R $u:staff $i/Public

/bin/chmod -R 755 $i/Public

;;

esac

done

do

case $u in

Shared)

;;

Temporary)

;;

*)

/usr/sbin/chown -R $u:staff $i/Public/Drop\ Box

/bin/chmod -R 733 $i/Public/Drop\ Box

;;

esac

done

do

case $u in

Shared)

;;

Temporary)

;;

*)

/usr/sbin/chown -R $u:staff $i/Sites

/bin/chmod -R 755 $i/Sites

;;

esac

done

exit 0

Problem with ACL group Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.