Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking to purchase

G'day all

This is my first post on this forum and I have hardly used many forums so I am unsure if this is the correct place to post this.

I have been looking at getting a Mac for a while because I have read how secure they are and no need for an anti-virus program to slow down the computer was a big plus.

I am looking to purchase a Notebook but I am unsure which product I should look into. I am a teacher and what I want to use it for writing lesson plans, collecting information for reports and report writing along with playing DVDs, playing music and using the internet. I am also wondering what software would be recomended for what I plan.

Thank you for your help.

Posted on May 19, 2011 4:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2011 5:53 PM

I would recommend a 13" or 15" MacBook Pro with minimum 4G of RAM. 8GB would be better for the little extra money. As far as apps, most everything you need comes with it, but in your line of business, you might want to consider Microsoft Office 2011 or Apple's iWorks also.

User uploaded file

17" 2.2GHz i7 Quad-Core MacBook Pro  8G RAM  750G HD + OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Boot HD 
Got problems with your Apple iDevice-like iPhone, iPad or iPod touch? Try Troubleshooting 101
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2011 5:53 PM in response to JWMS1985

I would recommend a 13" or 15" MacBook Pro with minimum 4G of RAM. 8GB would be better for the little extra money. As far as apps, most everything you need comes with it, but in your line of business, you might want to consider Microsoft Office 2011 or Apple's iWorks also.

User uploaded file

17" 2.2GHz i7 Quad-Core MacBook Pro  8G RAM  750G HD + OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Boot HD 
Got problems with your Apple iDevice-like iPhone, iPad or iPod touch? Try Troubleshooting 101

May 19, 2011 7:03 PM in response to JWMS1985

And to save more money don't get Microsoft Office or iWorks unless you can get them installed free by your school. Instead try the free program Open Office For Mac. http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ It has all the features of the other programs and can work with documents created by them.

For playing DVDs, playing music and using the internet Macs come with DVD Player, iTunes and Safari installed as part of the operating system. And Preview is a mini-PhotoShop for working with pictures. Preview can also read .pdf files.

Looking to purchase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.