Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to save pages doc to disk

not in manual, how to ?

Posted on May 19, 2011 5:33 PM

12 replies

May 21, 2011 5:59 AM in response to Heavy MC

When a feature is a standard Operating System one, it's not described in Apple's Applications User Guides.

It's described in the Mac one which is available when the Finder is at front.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 21 mai 2011 14:59:23

Please :

Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

To be the AW6 successor, iWork MUST integrate a TRUE DB, not a list organizer !

May 25, 2011 6:17 PM in response to Barry

Thanks Barry for your patient answer, but my question was unclear, I guess. I am not an expert at pages. Don't take this wrong but... Please... read my question. It is exact in nature.

To wit;

I, want to save a pages document, to a circular plastic disk, that can then be removed from the mac book pro, and stored at another local, like a safe.

The choices I can find are everything but, save to disk. Yes I can save to document, to hard drive, to internet, to anywhere in the world but to a disk.

I have three, large, IWork manuals here and none state , "How to save to Disk" As others have noted, Pages sometimes does not do, the simplest operations.

Friend Koenig from France, watch your syntax.

Anywho , thanks , a little frustrated at Pages. It reminds me of that early game MYST... remember that from 1996? Always looking for some clue.... on how to get some simple task done. HMC

May 25, 2011 9:43 PM in response to Heavy MC

HI HMC,

I did read your question. Several times. While it may have been "exact in nature"in your mind, the question was imprecise, perhaps even misleading, and ambiguous in its written form.

"Disk" covers a lot of ground; the hard drive disk in your MBP, and external hard drive disk attached to your MBP with a USB or Firewire cable (assuming the MBP supports Firewire), a remote hard drive disk connected via a wired or wireless network, or even a floppy disk (a disk of flexible plastic, usually enclosed in a rigid plastic shell) in its drive. Saving to any of these, except the internal drive in the MBP, results in a copy of the file which may be (or already is) removed from the MBP and stored at a remote locale.

The process for saving to any of these is essentially the same: Press command-S. For the first instance, add these steps: Navigate to the disk and location on the disk where you wish to save the file, give the file a name, then click Save.

That process is the same for almost every application on the Mac.

But what you were asking wasn't how to Save a file to a disk, but how to Burn a (set of) file(s) to an optical disk. For most applications (including Pages), where the files you produce will generally be far smaller than the 700 MB of a CD or the 4 GB+ of a single layer DVD, the option to directly burn a file to an optical disk is not offered. It's an OS operation, done in the Finder, and is described in Mac Help. A search on 'CD' will bring up several useful hits, and reading the list will introduce the term 'burn.' Searching on 'burn' will go more directly to the information you need.

The essential steps are as stated by Kenneth: "Create a burn folder and burn to disk," the details, if needed are in the Mac Help files.

So why "burn" and not "save" in this instance? Probably two reasons (at least).

First, the process itself is different—the recording is done using the heat/light energy of a laser to 'burn' pits in a dye layer, rather than a variable magnet to change the magnetic polarity of metal particles deposited in a thin layer on a plastic disk.

Second, recording to CD was originally a one-way, one time operation. Whatever was burned onto the disk was there 'permanently', and was the only thing that could be placed on that disk. Later, the ability to burn multiple sessions—to add files after the first set, but not to remove files—was added (provided you had the hardware and software capable of doing this). Still later a reuseable CD-R allowed erasing and reusing a disk (but not one of or some of the files on it—that's still a all-or-nothing operation).

Generally, a burn is a bulk operation involving a large quantity of data, not a 'retail' operation involving single files. Applications that handle large files (or large quantities of data), such as iTunes or iDVD, have a Burn to Disk control in the application interface. Applications such as Pages don't usually produce single files that require a 700 MB (CD) or 4 GB+ (DVD) storage space, so they don't provide such a control, but leave the operation to the OS via the Finder.

The essential process is, as Kenneth says, "Create a burn folder and burn to disc." The details are in the Mac Help files (Help menu, when you're in the Finder). A search on 'CD' will bring up several hits, including ones whose title will provide the "burn" vocabulary item that can be searched for several others applying directly to your question.

Regards,

Barry

May 25, 2011 9:49 PM in response to Heavy MC

"Thanks Barry for your patient answer, but my question was unclear, I guess. I am not an expert at pages. Don't take this wrong but... Please... read my question. It is exact in nature.

To wit;

I, want to save a pages document, to a circular plastic disk, that can then be removed from the mac book pro, and stored at another local, like a safe."

Well, the original question was not so exact. When you clarify that what you meant by "disk" is a "circular plastic disk" it seems that you want to burn the document onto either a CD or DVD, an optical storage device.

This procedure is the same for a Pages document as it is for any other document, file or folder. Your frustration should not be directed at Pages. If you want to burn content to a CD or DVD, click on the desktop so that Finder is the active application, go to Help item in the menu, then Mac Help, then type in either "burn CD" or "burn DVD" and you will see several topics that lead you to the solution.

When you say "Always looking for some clue.... on how to get some simple task done," the best suggestion would be to familiarize yourself with the Mac operating system. In general, tasks that are performed in a standard manner in all applications are not explained in the application manual or Help. They are available at the system level.

May 26, 2011 1:09 AM in response to Heavy MC

Heavy MC wrote:

Friend Koenig from France, watch your syntax.

I apologize but I don't understand what this sentence is supposed to mean.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 26 mai 2011 10:02:48

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.7

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

May 26, 2011 1:08 AM in response to Heavy MC

mac OS X doesn't offer native support to use optical disks as we use magnetic ones.

If I remember well, there is one or two third party products adding this feature.

Without them, you must use the described scheme :

save on a magnetic device or on a Solid State one then burn the contents of the temp device to the optical media.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 26 mai 2011 10:08:12

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.7

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

how to save pages doc to disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.