Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email takes 4 hours to send on a MacBook Pro

My wife's macbook pro (under OS 10.6.7) takes up to 4 hours to send an email and sometimes it will not send at all.

I was on the phone with Apple Care today and they could provide no help. The only suggestion was to zap pram. I have tried a lot of different fixes but nothing has worked.

Any ideas?

Thank you

OS 10.6.7

Mail 4.5 (1084 build)

Macbook Pro 17 inch, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Mail 4.5

Posted on May 19, 2011 8:33 PM

5 replies

May 19, 2011 10:11 PM in response to babowa

Some details are:

1) after clicking on the send button, the icon to the right of the send button spins and spins without sending. After many minutes or longer, if she has the patience to stay on that page, a dialogue box will come up saying that the server cannot be used and to select another server. And I have seen this happen and 5 to 10 minutes is common in terms of wait time. Our ISP is cox here in AZ. My iMac does not have this problem and the email send time for me is 2 to 3 seconds or so.

2) On the MacBook Pro, I have deleted the smtp server in the account area and added it again. That sometimes worked but within a day the problem resumes. I have done this delete and set up again many times.

3) I have completely deleted the account and set it up again. I have done that several times.

4) I have repaired permissions, a couple of times.

5) I have zap pram based on Apple Cares suggestion.

6) After any of the above, I restarted the computer.

On another note, I have looked at the forum responses using different search criteria (MacBook mail problem, Slow email, can't send emails, etc) and I have seen many responses. Just a few moments ago I saw one about changing the DNS settings. I am not sure about this but this slow email problem seems to occur when she returns from a trip out east where she is probably using another server to send emails. Not sure if that is relevant or not.

What is kind of perplexing is that people are still having a problem.

Anyway, thanks for reading my post and responding.

May 19, 2011 10:29 PM in response to Western AZ Mac

Please enable guest logins in the Accounts preference pane, and log in as Guest (no password needed.) Launch Mail and set up an account exactly as on the iMac. Send a test message. Is it slow? Log out of the guest account.

If you can send mail normally in the guest account, but not in your wife's account, then something in her home folder is wrong.

If sending is slow in the guest account, then the problem is system-wide. Boot in safe mode by restarting and holding down the shift key until you see the Apple logo on screen. Log in as usual and send a test message. Is it slow?

If Mail behaves normally in safe mode, then some third-party software you installed is interfering with Mail.

If sending is slow in safe mode, then you have some sort of system corruption and need to reinstall the OS.

Email takes 4 hours to send on a MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.