Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iphoto 11 convert RAW images to JPEG when you copy them?

I recently started shooting in RAW format using my Canon 400D. These images show up as RAW in iphoto 11, but whenever i copy them (to transfer them elsewhere), and return back to the image in iphoto, it shows up as JPEG only, the RAW format is lost. I did a search using spotlight, but the corresponding RAW file was not found. Is this how iphoto works? Or am i doing something incorrect. Pls help.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.10), MB Intel Core2Duo, 120GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, 2.16 GHz

Posted on May 20, 2011 1:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2011 2:45 AM

Processing Raw in iPhoto

When you import a Raw to iPhoto it automatically makes a jpeg Preview of the shot. Why? Because you can't do anything with Raw - can't print it, share it online, use it in other apps etc. So to allow you to use the file immediately the Preview is available.

You can access the Raw at anytime: You need to export it: File -> Export: and set the Kind to Original

You can, however, also process the Raw in iPhoto simply by editing it. The Raw processing engine in iPhoto the same one used in Aperture, but with less fine control. (Think of the differences between Word and TextEdit, iMovie and Final Cut). The output from the processing then replaces the preview. You can choose to save your output as either jpeg or tiff in the iPhoto Preferences.

When you are processing Raw in iPhoto you will see the Raw badge on the bottom of the iPhoto Window

User uploaded file
Uploaded with plasq's Skitch!

Note: After you have processed a Raw, subsequent edits to the photo are carried out on the processed jpeg (or tiff) not the Raw. If you want to go back to the original then you need to use the Photos -> Reprocess Raw command.

Processing Raw in a 3rd Party Application

You can also process your Raw with a 3rd Party app like ACR or Photoshop. *But* iPhoto does not handle this gracefully and it's a bit of a kludge.

First off set your preferred app as an external editor in iPhoto:

You can set Photoshop (or any image editor) as an external editor in iPhoto. (Preferences -> General -> Edit Photo: Choose from the Drop Down Menu.) This way, when you double click a pic to edit in iPhoto it will open automatically in Photoshop or your Image Editor, and when you save it it's sent back to iPhoto automatically. This is the only way that edits made in another application will be displayed in iPhoto.

Note that iPhoto sends a copy+ of the file to Photoshop, so when you save be sure to use the Save command, not Save As... If you use Save As then you're creating a new file and iPhoto has no way of knowing about this new file. iPhoto is preserving your original anyway.

Next: In the iPhoto Preferences -> Advanced, elect to use Raw with your External editor:

User uploaded file

Now when you go to edit the Raw it will be sent to your external editor.

Now for the kludge:

You cannot save a Raw. The work you do must be output to a new file, in a new format (jepg, tiff, whatever). However, as the External Editor is making this new file iPhoto has no knowledge of its existence. Therefore you *must save it to the desktop and then import it back to iPhoto as a new file*.

This means that you will have your Original Raw and the processed version in iPhoto but they will not be recognised as version and original. iPhoto will see them as two separate shots.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2011 2:45 AM in response to hibhaven

Processing Raw in iPhoto

When you import a Raw to iPhoto it automatically makes a jpeg Preview of the shot. Why? Because you can't do anything with Raw - can't print it, share it online, use it in other apps etc. So to allow you to use the file immediately the Preview is available.

You can access the Raw at anytime: You need to export it: File -> Export: and set the Kind to Original

You can, however, also process the Raw in iPhoto simply by editing it. The Raw processing engine in iPhoto the same one used in Aperture, but with less fine control. (Think of the differences between Word and TextEdit, iMovie and Final Cut). The output from the processing then replaces the preview. You can choose to save your output as either jpeg or tiff in the iPhoto Preferences.

When you are processing Raw in iPhoto you will see the Raw badge on the bottom of the iPhoto Window

User uploaded file

Note: After you have processed a Raw, subsequent edits to the photo are carried out on the processed jpeg (or tiff) not the Raw. If you want to go back to the original then you need to use the Photos -> Reprocess Raw command.

Processing Raw in a 3rd Party Application

You can also process your Raw with a 3rd Party app like ACR or Photoshop. *But* iPhoto does not handle this gracefully and it's a bit of a kludge.

First off set your preferred app as an external editor in iPhoto:

You can set Photoshop (or any image editor) as an external editor in iPhoto. (Preferences -> General -> Edit Photo: Choose from the Drop Down Menu.) This way, when you double click a pic to edit in iPhoto it will open automatically in Photoshop or your Image Editor, and when you save it it's sent back to iPhoto automatically. This is the only way that edits made in another application will be displayed in iPhoto.

Note that iPhoto sends a copy+ of the file to Photoshop, so when you save be sure to use the Save command, not Save As... If you use Save As then you're creating a new file and iPhoto has no way of knowing about this new file. iPhoto is preserving your original anyway.

Next: In the iPhoto Preferences -> Advanced, elect to use Raw with your External editor:

User uploaded file

Now when you go to edit the Raw it will be sent to your external editor.

Now for the kludge:

You cannot save a Raw. The work you do must be output to a new file, in a new format (jepg, tiff, whatever). However, as the External Editor is making this new file iPhoto has no knowledge of its existence. Therefore you *must save it to the desktop and then import it back to iPhoto as a new file*.

This means that you will have your Original Raw and the processed version in iPhoto but they will not be recognised as version and original. iPhoto will see them as two separate shots.

May 20, 2011 3:09 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for your explanation Terence, gave me useful insight that i didnt have.

A few more queries:

1. Let me modify my original question (though i have now started understanding what RAW format is:)). I have downloaded 10 photos in RAW from my camera to iphoto. In the 'information' view, it shows me as RAW format. Now i have to transfer these images to a pen drive, so i copy all the images from iphoto and save onto a new folder on the desktop. Then i copy this folder onto my pen drive. When I come back to my iphoto folder, i suddenly see that all the 10 RAW images now show up as only JPEGs. Did iphoto convert all these RAW files to JPEG because RAW files cannot be copied? (or did something else happen here). Does it mean i have lost all the 10 RAW files now?

2. I shoot RAW as well as JPEG files (RAW when i am doing some serious photography, and JPEG when casual) but I edit both in PS CS5. If i enable the 'Use RAW when using external editor' in preferences, how will it impact the editing when i open JPEG files in my external editor (PS CS5)?

May 20, 2011 3:19 AM in response to hibhaven

I have downloaded 10 photos in RAW from my camera to iphoto. In the 'information' view, it shows me as RAW format. Now i have to transfer these images to a pen drive, so i copy all the images from iphoto and save onto a new folder on the desktop. Then i copy this folder onto my pen drive.

How do you "copy" the files from iPhoto. With iPhoto you can get files from the iPhoto Window in two ways: Drag and drop (which will always yield the Jpeg Preview mentioned above) or by File -> Export which will give you the Jpeg unless you specifically ask for the Original

When I come back to my iphoto folder, i suddenly see that all the 10 RAW images now show up as only JPEGs.

What's the "iphoto folder" ? Do you mean the folder of images you copied from the iPhoto Window ? Or do you mean iPhoto?

Simply, you have not lost the Raw. File - Export and set the Kind to Original

If i enable the 'Use RAW when using external editor' in preferences, how will it impact the editing when i open JPEG files in my external editor (PS CS5)?

It'll make no difference.

Regards

TD

May 20, 2011 3:54 AM in response to Yer_Man

I manually copied (in my ignorance) the files from my iphoto event to a desktop folder. However, my concern is that the files back in the iphoto events folder should still continue to be RAW format. They have now changed to JPEG, which is now confusing me. Even when i now export then using original format, they get exported as JPEGs.

(In future, i now know that the best way to send files is to export them and not simply copy-paste or drag-drop them).

Thanks again.

Jun 4, 2014 12:59 PM in response to hibhaven

Hello,

I am having the same issue with trying to open RAW images from iphoto into ACR. Even though they are shown as RAW in iphoto, the thumbnail images in ACR show the potos as jpeg. I tried the steps for opening the RAW photos directly into ACR when you hit "edit" in iphoto, which worked, but the thumbnail still shows the photo as a jpeg.

Anny suggestions?

Thanks

Does iphoto 11 convert RAW images to JPEG when you copy them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.