Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Photo - missing capacity

I have an iPod Photo 60 GB that is only reporting itself to be a 20GB hard drive (18.18 GB), yet the hard drive passes all the iPod developer diagnostics apart from this. Could it be a bad controller, or is the drive bad? Every test I ran with the diagnostics passed, although the iPod restarted after the IRAM test and I didn't see the results - is this normal or a fault?

iPod classic, Other OS, iPod Photo 60GB

Posted on May 20, 2011 2:02 AM

2 replies

May 20, 2011 2:11 AM in response to Lukeno94

Well, I watched it all the way through this time, and it didn't say anything - just went from Waiting... to resetting the iPod after about a minute, no change in wording. Is this a fault then?

EDIT: Done some research and it appears this is normal. Back to square one then, trying to work out if the controller board for the hard drive or the drive itself is bad.

May 20, 2011 2:45 AM in response to Lukeno94

retracts 101

reallocs 17

pending sectors 3

poweron hours 12

start/stops 110

That's the SMART data, which sounds rather odd - especially as the HDD is far older than 12 hours, yet I restored it less than 12 power hours ago, and also the hard drive last exhibited the Click of Death due to being dropped more recently than that (a forceful tap fixes this click.)

iPod Photo - missing capacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.