Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I control iPhone without touchscreen?

I want to control the iPhone without using the touchscreen. Specifically, I want a custom app to receive simple commands through pushing of 3 or 4 external buttons. I understand this can be done through the dock pins 12 and 13. I think I would need a microcontroller that would then send input to the app. I just dont understand the technical issues or possiblities with this approach.

Another idea is to use bluetooth connectivity. Once again, 3 or 4 buttons sending 3 or 4 differnet commands to the app. I just want to be able to scroll through options in the app or change a few settings. Once again, not sure of the technical issues or possiblites with sending input to apps via bluetooth.

For example, my app is a stopwatch. I want one button to start the timer, once button to record laps, one button to scroll through specifics of each lap once completed, and one button to stop the timer.

I also need to understand if I can disable the screen lock so I can avoid the SLIDE TO UNLOCK since I wont be able to access the touchscreen.

I think I will need to jailbreak the phone or work with Apple on hardware accessiblity but I'm just trying to figure out how to accomplish this.

iPhone 3G, iOS 3.0

Posted on May 20, 2011 5:15 AM

2 replies

How can I control iPhone without touchscreen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.