Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to share aps between my iPad and iPhone, I have tried several methods yet I still get charged if I download an app I already have on my iPad. many thanks, Alex

Is it possible to share apps from my iPad onto my new iPhone 4. I have tried several suggestions from the net but still get charged when I download an app to my phone that is already on my iPad. Many thanks, alex

iPhone 4, Sharing apps

Posted on May 20, 2011 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2011 9:04 AM

If you're syncing them both to the same computer with the same iTunes account, you should be able to install any universal (iPhone+iPad) apps or iPhone apps on both.

3 replies

May 20, 2011 9:07 AM in response to alexfrombraintree

Assuming you're using the SAME iTunes account, you are NEVER charged for re-downloading and installing an app on a different device - iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. Note that when you re-download, it first appears as if you are purchasing it again, but if you proceed you'll see that you already paid for it and won't be charged again.

If you're getting charged again it's either because you have separate iTunes accounts associated with your iPhone and iPad OR you're downloading different versions of the app. There are many apps that have separate iPad and iPhone versions, and you have to pay separately for each. (Apps designed for both have a "+" next to them.)

Message was edited by: modular747

May 20, 2011 9:28 AM in response to alexfrombraintree

Greetings Alex,

You should be able to download the exact same app from the iTunes store to a different device at no extra cost. Its possible you might be downloading an iPad only version of an app you happen to have on your iPhone although I'm not familiar with an example of this.

If you are being charged:

1. Make sure you are using the same iTunes Store account (AppleID) on both devices. Your purchases are tied to the AppleID so if you don't use the same one to download the app that you used to buy it the first time, you'll be charged.

• On the device you originally bought the app in question: Go to Settings > Store -- note the AppleID here
  • On the device you re-downloaded and were charged on: Go to Settings > Store -- note the AppleID here

If these AppleIDs are different then you have your answer. You are making purchases with two different accounts so logically you've been charged twice. Decide which AppleID you wish to use from now on and on the device which does not currently have that ID and tap on it in the Store section of the settings and login with the other AppleID.

If these AppleIDs are the same then something is going wrong in the process. Contact iTunes Store support email to have them take a peek: http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

Hope that helps.

Is it possible to share aps between my iPad and iPhone, I have tried several methods yet I still get charged if I download an app I already have on my iPad. many thanks, Alex

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.