Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 Microphone HELP!

Okay so I got my iPad 2 Today (black, 16gb, wifi) and am amazed by it. However, when I recorded a video, there was no sound. I recorded again, this time SHOUTING into the mic hole at the top, then turned the volume to full. When I replayed the Video, I could *Barely* hear myself. I downloaded a sound recording app, wuth the same results. I rebooted. No Sound. I Restored to the original. Made a vdeo, NO SOUND AGAIN. PLEASE HELP! I have iOS 4.3.3

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 20, 2011 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2011 4:06 PM

Johannes-

I got mine yesterday and haven't tried recording a video, so I'm just guessing!

Do you have a Skype account? Skype has a test server that lets you test your audio. The iPhone version works on iPad, and is a free download from the iTunes store. My voice returned at a reasonable volume when I tried it using the factory volume setting.

Have you tried playing music to see if the speaker is working? If the speaker doesn't work, you might plug in earphones and try that.

When you rebooted, did you hold the home and sleep buttons until the Apple logo appeared? I can't think of anything else to try if that didn't help.

Whether your problem is speaker or microphone, it sounds like you may have a defective iPad.

Fred

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2011 4:06 PM in response to johannes0520

Johannes-

I got mine yesterday and haven't tried recording a video, so I'm just guessing!

Do you have a Skype account? Skype has a test server that lets you test your audio. The iPhone version works on iPad, and is a free download from the iTunes store. My voice returned at a reasonable volume when I tried it using the factory volume setting.

Have you tried playing music to see if the speaker is working? If the speaker doesn't work, you might plug in earphones and try that.

When you rebooted, did you hold the home and sleep buttons until the Apple logo appeared? I can't think of anything else to try if that didn't help.

Whether your problem is speaker or microphone, it sounds like you may have a defective iPad.

Fred

May 20, 2011 4:18 PM in response to Fred-M-

thanks alot for the quick reply... I logged in to my skype and tried the test call. No Go. My earphones with the mic work just fine, but I'd still prefer to Facetime etc without them. I did reboot, but that didn't change anything. FYI I did use a Green Smart Cover... but I still have the problem without it. Looks like I'll have to return it... Does anybody know how long it will take to get it replaced? 😟

Jun 18, 2011 3:54 PM in response to johannes0520

My microphone is also bad on my 3G iPad. Since mine was personalized, I am out of luck. Takes at least 4 weeks to replace one. The apple tech on the phone was kind enough to suggest that I buy an Apple Care agreement so they could send an advanced exchange, then I could send mine back when it was received. After I received the agreement from him and called back I got another story. Express exhanges are not availaible with personalized iPads.

I don't love Apple

Jul 28, 2011 10:05 PM in response to JLHURST

Im having the same issue, and its really dissapointing, since Im in a country with no Apple stores to return it, (this is my second bad experience with an Apple product) Im wondering to know thw ways to repair it without opening it.

JLHURST can you please tell me what did you exactly did? what do you mean with "" &amp" in your post?

Thaks

Jul 7, 2014 3:35 PM in response to jazminbernardo

Jazmin-

You can have the Apple Genius check it out, but the warranty has expired. They may offer you a discount on a new model, but may not have a repair service.

There are Apple Authorized repair centers that can repair it. Being out of warranty, you can probably find a less expensive independent repair center if you search the web. There may be one in your city.

Fred

May 30, 2015 2:24 PM in response to johannes0520

. -lewis

This was a solution for me if anybodys microphone isnt working, take a very thin needle that'll fit into the mic at the top of the ipad on the back and carefuly put the pin inside, then "scoop" the excess dirt from inside the mic, this is what the problem was for me, just dont be to harsh when inserting the thin needle:)

please let me know if this has worked for you:)User uploaded file

May 30, 2015 3:14 PM in response to johannes0520

I will tell my story about this problem.

For me was the same. Warranty was expired and microphone was very very quiet.

So I blow air with mouth to the microphone. Then immediately I noticed difference.

After that I took vacuum cleaner and reduced vacuum cleaner's power to low and placed vacuum's cleaner head to microphone.

It helped for me. But I reduced vacuum cleaner's power to the minimum. So as I understand and hope it didn't damage microphone. 🙂

And now it works fine. Really like iPads.

iPad 2 Microphone HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.