Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

List of problems with iMac and OSX

Sometimes while using my iMacs (yes plural, I have owned 6 iMacs now since 2006) for long periods of video rendering like these expensive media computers are supposed to be meant for, I encounter problems. Recently since Snow Leopard has been released I have encountered so many problems over the last two years that I need to now list them for use in court if Apple refuses to fix the problems with their "It just works."TM Operating System X and machines. See if you can find any solutions for these problems:

1. iMac display does not go to sleep while copying files or rendering video, and if user tries to put display to sleep it pops back up immediately or upon file copy completion. During this simple process of file copy or video rendering which these computers are built for, there is no way to turn off the display like it says you can do in the Expose/Hot Corners Feature page on the apple.com website. This is false advertising. This is only a problem on iMac and it is a major problem that has existed since the iMac product line was introduced in the previous decade. The machine overrides its own energy saving features (features which are part of the sale of the computer and touted as a selling point). In addition, there is part of OSX that needs to be fixed to allow brightness to be set to 0 on iMac. Macbook Pro brightness level 0 is 0. iMac level 0 is more like 15.

2. Finder.app cannot be opened. This should never happen. When this happens in windows with explorer.exe, it does not say explorer.exe cannot be opened, it just lets you start another instance of explorer. But I digress, Finder.app cannot be opened. This error is produced when Finder randomly quits and there is no way to open another instance of it. There is no way to reproduce random quits of finder.app since it happens during work sessions and I understand that this happens to all computers, but this needs to be fixed so that another instance of Finder.app can be opened when the previous instance crashes. Everytime this happens I lose my work because I cannot save my files and I have to reboot the computer. If I could find Finder.app in Finder and Show Package contents and find the Terminal file for Finder, I would have it in my Dock like all the other Apple apps that crash constantly and need rebooting in a separate instance.

3. Window renderer. Why is it so terrible? Always with graphical glitches. Sometimes it even fails to show the black curtain that is supposed to block access to your computer when you have "Wake from sleep password" turned on in Security Preferences. Great security. Rely on a black rectangle that sometimes doesn't load to be inbetween the desktop and the mouse. Guess what, when it doesn't load, you can access the computer even with the "YOU MUST ENTER PASSWORD TO ACCESS COMPUTER" box. No security whatsoever. And when you try to reproduce the error, it loads the curtain just fine the second time. Great programming guys, top notch. Glad you rewrote Snow Leopard from the ground up now?

4. Re-arranging some dock icons doesn't work, most notably when moving icons that have not been moved for a while. Even if you have never created a MobileMe or Sync account and those services are off. I just spent a half hour trying to reorganize my dock. Every tenth or so dock icon I try to move, about 5 dock icons I had previously moved move back or move to the end of the dock. Even after everything is situated. I sat back and was done, then watched as half my dock reverted to what it looked like about 60 seconds previous.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 21, 2011 8:30 AM

1 reply

May 21, 2011 8:44 AM in response to Spence Kagy

OK I may have found a workaround to number 2.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

Right click finder.app, show contents, navigate to resources/MACOS/ and drag that icon into your dock (the files side of the dock near downloads)

Next time it crashes I will be ready to force another instance to open with this dirty trick 😐

EDIT: STILL NOT HAPPY THAT I HAVE TO DO THIS

List of problems with iMac and OSX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.