Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bass distorted in garageband- again!

Hi everyone,

For the last 2 days I have been bogged down by a mind boggling problem. I just can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

I did post this question a few days ago and thought I had resolved the issue, but today I tried recording again and came across the same problem.

It is not a faulty cable (I did have a faulty cable but even with a new one I still experience the below problem).

I have recorded 3 tracks in garageband so far. All sound good, including bass.

The third track is my problem. I am trying to record the bass and have pretty much the same settings in GB and the bass as well as the pre amp I have ben using (TubeAmp).

The problem is that only in this track does my bass sound distorted when recording.

I checked and checked again: the levels are set to exactly the same on the other tracks as on this track and of course I chose 'real instrument' as the track type as well.

I have tried to lower ALL possible levels in GB, the bass and TubeAmp: all I get is a weak signal due to the low levels and even that low level is distorted!

In a nutshell: Whatever I do, the bass in this track is distorted, so I cannot record the bass track until I can get this issue fixed.

I also experienced the same problem with an external synth which I tried to record. I plugged the synth into the pre amp and then pre amp to GB, but again, distortion at all levels!. I ended up micing the synth (mic to synth speaker!) to actually record the sound, how ridiculous is that?!

Has anyone come across this problem or can you advise?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on May 21, 2011 3:19 PM

7 replies

Dec 30, 2011 6:52 AM in response to michaelv03

Hi,

I just posted a question on this I am getting a problem too, I cannot record a song at all because the distortion starts after a few minutes.

I thought it might be the lead, if I take it out and plug it back in it clears then after a few minutes starts distroting again. Also if I reboot garageband I get the same thing.

Doug

Dec 30, 2011 8:02 AM in response to dougjuk

Two different problems here. dougiuk, sounds like a driver problem.

michaelvl3 sounds like you are overdriving your preamp or the computer soundcard. Doesn't matter how low you turn down the track volume in garageband it won't make any difference other then output level. Back off on the bass volume see what happens then back off on the preamp. Also if you have a active bass check the battery I know when my active bass battery is low I get a distortion.

Dec 30, 2011 8:13 AM in response to dougjuk

I have since fixed this issue, but also found it strange that no one else seems to have experienced this distortion issue. In my I case, i first suspected the pre-amp to be causing this as I thought that maybe it is getting too hot or was of low quality, but that wasn't it. Then I played around with input/ recording levels, but that wasn't the problem either as even low input levels ended up sounding distorted. Finally, I cracked it. The weakest link in the chain (and actually almost a kind of design flaw by Apple) is the physical Jack input at the back of my Mac (Mini).

All guitar and mic cables are jack to jacks. However, the input jack is built for small headphone style cable jacks (forgive me - I do not know what the proper term or exact size, is but you will know what I mean).

So you are required to get an adapter to make up for it- and that is where the problem is: Anything at all between the original sound source and the recording facility lowers quality of recording, especially such fiddly little adapters.

Anyway, it turned out that the adapter I was using, had a tiny loose contact in it! Yes, that's right, a cheap part (in fact the cheapest and smallest part in all my recording equipment) gave me recording headaches for days on end. The tiniest movement would cause distortion. The moment i found the fault, which was not at all obvious at first, as it was so intermittent, I changed it for the most expensive (goldplated) jack adapter the problem immediately disappeared and I have not had any issues since.

i think, since Macs are very often used by musicians, that MAC should also build in a 'large' jack input, which would make life easier and sound quality better.

So check your 'chain' of equipment between sound source and input as it is most likely a physical issue in your equipment; in my case it was that **** adapter!

All the best!

Dec 30, 2011 11:15 AM in response to dougjuk

Well not all manufactures pay close attention to apples specs for class complaint. When updates to the os happen sometime it breaks things. Most good interface builders will offer drivers or firmware when this happens. Sometime the cheaper products get overlooked.

Of course sometimes Apple will make a change and the device starts working again.

Either way this is what's happening to your interface.

Bass distorted in garageband- again!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.