Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leopard not creating preference files

So, weird thing about my computer lately, it's not creating new preference files anymore! I noticed it the other day when I tried to change my desktop. I have tried deleting the old ones that are problematic as I find them, but after firing up the programs affiliated with them, it doesn't create a new one. For the desktop issue I created a new account and altered it there, then copied the preference file into my account. This is fine for the desktop, which I don't change often, but for other programs it's a serious pain. I confirmed the issue by opening up TextEdit while having the 'Preferences' window open and changing the preferences within TextEdit. The 'Date Modified' date didn't change and once I restarted TextEdit, the changes I had made were gone. The problem also is affecting the Dock, I have tried adding items to it but upon restarting the computer they're gone, and the most annoying: When deleting items from the 'Downloads' folder, if I expand the docked folder they still show up. They're not in the actual folder though, just showing that they are in a preview sort of way, you dig?

Any thoughts, you fine people?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 21, 2011 9:25 PM

6 replies

May 22, 2011 2:50 AM in response to cactusfarm

Check the startup disk... might need repairing.

Insert your install disk and Restart, holding down the "C" key until grey Apple appears.

Go to Installer menu and launch Disk Utility.

(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first from the installer menu)

Select your HDD (manufacturer ID) in the left panel.

Select First Aid in the Main panel.

(Check S.M.A.R.T Status of HDD at the bottom of right panel. It should say: Verified

Click Repair Disk on the bottom right.

If DU reports disk does not need repairs quit DU and restart.

If DU reports errors Repair again and again until DU reports disk is repaired.

When you are finished with DU, from the Menu Bar, select Utilities/Startup Manager.

Select your startup disk and click Restart

While you have the Disk Utility window open, look at the bottom of the window. Where you see Capacity and Available. Make sure there is always 15% free space.

May 22, 2011 10:39 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hey Carolyn,

Thanks for the reply, I followed your instructions and am still having the same issues. And as far as the free space goes, I have tons, I hardly save anything to my hard drive, always to an external.

And to Ateight; no worries, I'm somewhat happy to know that someone else is having the same problems! Makes me feel a little better that it's just a weird bug in the system or something rather than something really obscure and hard to fix!

May 23, 2011 2:26 PM in response to cactusfarm

Hi cactusfarm,

I've since found a solution for my problem thanks to some knowledgeable person at Logic forum.

It turns out I needed to repair my disk permissions and having done that I ran the following in terminal;

sudo chmod -R 777 ~/Library

It sets the library permissions for everyone on the computer but as its just me on my machine that's not a problem and now everything is working as should be.

Recent list now updates and preference files update!

I actually got sent a bunch of terminal commands that are very useful and if you wish I'll forward them on.

Best,

ateight.

Leopard not creating preference files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.