Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PUZZLING, help, not connecting.

my ipod classic, 5th generation is not connecting to my pc (windows 7, laptop)

it connects to my moms windows xp laptop just fine.

it shows up on deivce manger, though not in my computer, nor in itunes.

i disconnected it, rebooted it, restarted my pc a countless number of times. nothing. force booted into hard disk mode...

ive gone through the whole troubleshooting section on the site, including a countless number of threads, i've reinstalled itunes from scratch, stopping/starting apple mobile device services, ive honestly tried just about everything... please help.

thank you.

iPod classic

Posted on May 21, 2011 11:43 PM

4 replies

May 22, 2011 4:02 AM in response to BiteOfToast

hi biteoftoast,

Have you tried another usb port?

I understand you have downloaded the latest version of itunes,as well,when you open itunes try checking for updates for itunes.

also try connecting something else to that usb port you have used for your ipod,for example a camera,if it works ok ,then your usb port is ok,if it does not then it could be the usb port.

I also take it you have tried a full reset for your ipod,taken into consideration you have back up all the data.

i hope this may help

thanks madforit

May 22, 2011 5:58 AM in response to BiteOfToast

Connect the recalcitrant iPod to your PC.

Under your Start menu, right-click on "My Computer".

Click on Properties/Device Manager/Hardware tab.

Scroll aaaaall the way down to the bottom where you'll find a listing labeled "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Right-click on it and click on "Scan for Hardware Changes".

If still no joy, disconnect your iPod, repeat above steps and try connecting your iPod again

May 22, 2011 7:26 AM in response to madforit73

the ipod, i see, is listed as a usb mass storage device, though not showing up in "my computer".

I've just formated the thing using windows xp on an old laptop, still doesnt show up on this pc; on top of reinstalling itunes, pretty much eliminates the option of something being wrong with the itunes client.

i see the ipod is connected is connected in diskmanager, though when i attempt to mount the disk using the GUI i receive an error along the lines of "Disk Management console view is not up-to-date".... the command line interface brings me no further results, as i cannot mount a disk, rather it must be a volume, though it does not show up as a volume.

i have work now, hopefully ill figure out when i get back. Thank you everyone!

PUZZLING, help, not connecting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.