Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5 2.7 Dual, best way to cool the CPU's

What's better for keeping the CPU's cool, thermal pads or Artic Silver 5? I am thinking artic silver but a second opinion would be welcomed.

G5 Dual 2.7, Mac OS X (10.4.3), ATI Radeon 9650, 4.5GB

Posted on May 22, 2011 11:35 AM

4 replies

May 22, 2011 3:03 PM in response to Skorpan

Arctic Silver 5 is the best of the old school, but is outperformed by newer, safer to use conmpounds.

Arctic Cooling MX-3 or MX-4 are both tested on my CPUs to show improved cooling by over 2.5ºC as compared to AS5.

Internet reviews all show improved cooling with MX compounds.

The MX compounds have a use life (after application) of 8 years, whereas AS5 is 3-4 years.

Neither of the MX compounds are electrically conductive, so there is no worry of shorting components with excess compound as there is with AS5.

Another benefit of the MX compounds is that there is no curing period.

AS5 requires up to 200 hours to reach full thermal conductivity, whereas MX compounds require zero hours curing.

May 23, 2011 6:08 AM in response to japamac

That's what I thought, thanks for the reply. MX-4 seems the way to go.

On a side note I'm re-fitting a G5 2.7 Dual. The LCS is OK and has no major leaks except for some 'rice crystals' around the defective 'O-rings', I intend to fit new rings and refill the LCS. I removed the power source today, it was covered in dust after cleaning the mac seems a little cooler (idle at 57°). I have seen the info at 'xlr8yourmac.com' and it seems pretty straightforward, but does anyone have any thoughts about the new coolant refill, specifically on the 'in - out' route for the coolant and how to avoid getting air in the system?

Many thanks!

G5 2.7 Dual, best way to cool the CPU's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.