Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem installing memory in Power Mac G5 (late 2005)

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums, and new to messing around with computers, so please have patience with me!

I recently purchased Kingston KTA-G5533E/4G memory kit for my Power Mac G5 Quad (late 2005). I don't know the history of the machine--it was generously given to me by a professor after her lab emptied out. I tried to install the kit today and--after blowing out the large family of dust bunnies--I noticed two things:

1) There were two pairs of memory in the machine, but the system profiler says I am currently only running one pair: 1GB (i.e. 2x 512MB) of DDR2 SDRAM in slots 0 and 1. Does this mean the other memory pair is not working? How can I check?

2) When I slid the new memory into the next available slots, I could not close the side tabs that lock the card in place because the notches in the card were in the wrong place. I flipped the memory around, but it didn't go in at all, so I was convinced I had it oriented properly. I checked the specifications for my machine and the memory, and it seems like it should fit. Any ideas why it doesn't?

Thanks so much!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 4 x 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5

Posted on May 22, 2011 12:49 PM

10 replies

May 22, 2011 1:31 PM in response to junipinyon

Hi, and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

That appears to be the correct RAM For the Quad & other 2 Dual Core G5s, but...

1. It's not working.

2. It must not be seated properly, the locking tabs must engage.

Also, just checking but are you aware they must be installed in opposing pairs? 1 with 1 2 with 2, etc.?

4-3-2-1*1-2-3-4

May 23, 2011 6:47 AM in response to old comm guy

Thank you so much for your replies!

I should have mentioned in the original post that I did check out the manual, the apple support instructions, and watched a few videos before attempting the installation. I also checked the forums for a similar issue before posting because I can imagine how irritating it would be to get the same question for the 1238th time.

May 23, 2011 7:04 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua!

That appears to be the correct RAM For the Quad & other 2 Dual Core G5s, but...

1. It's not working.

2. It must not be seated properly, the locking tabs must engage.

I'm glad to know I purchased the correct RAM. I still don't know why the tabs did not engage--I tried everything I could think of. Anyhow, that doesn't seem to be something you folks can help me with. I'll try again.

As for Q1, I wasn't clear in my original post--there are three sets of chips involved. One set is in the first set of slots (using the numbering system in old comm guy's diagram) that is working. The second set is in the second set of slots and is not recognized by the computer. The third set is the new set I purchased that i was trying to install in the third set of slots.

In any case, I think what I'll do is take the second set out and try to install the third kit in that set of slots. Thanks again for your help.

Juni

PS: junipinyon=junipinyon2. I'd rather not explain why! 😊

Message was edited by: junipinyon2

May 23, 2011 7:10 AM in response to junipinyon2

junipinyon2 wrote:

Thank you so much for your replies!

I should have mentioned in the original post that I did check out the manual, the apple support instructions, and watched a few videos before attempting the installation. I also checked the forums for a similar issue before posting because I can imagine how irritating it would be to get the same question for the 1238th time.

But who's counting? 🙂

Anyway, I found that at least on my earlier machine, it was necessary to lay the machine on its side, as the Apple Service Source information suggests to techs, to insert the DIMMs without a fight. That's a little secret they didn't share with the general public (thank you very much Apple). When I did that, they went into the slots without a fuss, whereas when upright, the computer was resistant to inserting the DIMMs. Why that should be the case, I don't have a clue.

May 23, 2011 10:34 AM in response to junipinyon2

junipinyon2 wrote:

Ha! Thanks! 🙂

Thanks for the tip--I did try laying the machine on its side because it was recommended in a video. I'll just try again. It really seems like they should just go in! Maybe I just don't have the right touch... *sigh*

I hear you on the "touch" issue. IMHO, the DIMM connectors on my G5 were the most resistant connectors of any machine I have ever dealt with. At least on its side, the machine was a little more receptive. I didn't feel the need for a baby sledge to get the DIMMs in, but they definitely were not ZIF, either.

BTW, it's nice to see someone ahead of the game, as opposed to behind the curve. 🙂

Jun 9, 2011 6:11 PM in response to old comm guy

My sincere apologies for the lengthy delay! Work took me suddenly out of town. But I have good news! The chips were successfully installed!

Here's how:

Knowing that some force was needed gave me the courage to really press down on the chips when I was installing them. Having the machine on its side is key--it is much easier to put your weight behind it. Also important was pressing down on the chip until the tabs start to move inward, then maintaining pressure with one hand while using your other hand to ease the tab into its closed and locked position.

Even better news--remember that pair of chips that wasn't working? Turns out they just weren't reseated properly! The extra 500 GB feels like the icing on the cake.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out! My first excursion into the forums was a real pleasure.

Juni.

Problem installing memory in Power Mac G5 (late 2005)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.