Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting in Quicktime

I am exporting a .avi file into iTunes, by clicking "Share" then "iTunes". Then, it begins exporting, but gets frozen, when it says "5 seconds remaining". I am sure this issue has come up before. Any suggestions how to fix?

Thanks.

MacBook, iPod Classic 80GB, iPhone3G, iPod Nano Yellow, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on May 22, 2011 1:38 PM

6 replies

Jun 20, 2011 9:23 AM in response to RyanWAdams

I am exporting a .avi file into iTunes, by clicking "Share" then "iTunes". Then, it begins exporting, but gets frozen, when it says "5 seconds remaining". I am sure this issue has come up before. Any suggestions how to fix?

Assuming the audio and video compression formats are already QT compatible, save the AVI data in an MOV file container before importing to iTunes. Remember that AVI compressed data may or may not be compatible with mobile devices if you plan to sync the content.

User uploaded file

Jun 20, 2011 10:06 AM in response to Jon Walker

Sorry! Thought you meant you were trying to import the AVI file to iTunes in the AVI container. QT X is still a bit buggy. If you have QT 7 Pro, try using it for the conversion. If you don't have QT 7 Pro, then use the free MPEG Streamclip (or other free converter) to transcode the file to your desired mobile device target preset and import the resulting file to iTunes.

User uploaded file

Jun 20, 2011 10:45 AM in response to VanWder1

Jon, How do you save the data in an MOV file container?

The "Save As..." option in QT 7 Pro/QT X will copy the current data to an MOV file container. (MPEG Streamclip also has a "Save As..." option but additionally offers the user the option to use an MOV, MP4, or AVI file container if the compressed data allows such a container. I.e., using an MP4 container, for instance, may strip certain tracks from the resultant file.) In any case, I previously mentioned this when I thought the OP was trying to import an AVI file to iTunes. iTunes does not like the AVI file container and will baulk when trying to import an AVI file even if the data is properly compressed for iTunes/mobile device use. If you are actually transcoding the AVI data using the share or export option, then you don't have to worry about the files being in an AVI container since the export options will normally place the newly compressed data in an iTunes compatible file container.

User uploaded file

Exporting in Quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.