6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2011 11:34 AM by VanWder1
RyanWAdams Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am exporting a .avi file into iTunes, by clicking "Share" then "iTunes". Then, it begins exporting, but gets frozen, when it says "5 seconds remaining". I am sure this issue has come up before. Any suggestions how to fix?

Thanks.

MacBook, iPod Classic 80GB, iPhone3G, iPod Nano Yellow, Mac OS X (10.5.5)
  • VanWder1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the exact same issue!!  You're right, it HAD to have come up before.  But where is the help?

• Jon Walker Level 6 Level 6 (18,045 points)

I am exporting a .avi file into iTunes, by clicking "Share" then "iTunes". Then, it begins exporting, but gets frozen, when it says "5 seconds remaining". I am sure this issue has come up before. Any suggestions how to fix?

Assuming the audio and video compression formats are already QT compatible, save the AVI data in an MOV file container before importing to iTunes. Remember that AVI compressed data may or may not be compatible with mobile devices if you plan to sync the content.

/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png

Sorry! Thought you meant you were trying to import the AVI file to iTunes in the AVI container. QT X is still a bit buggy. If you have QT 7 Pro, try using it for the conversion. If you don't have QT 7 Pro, then use the free MPEG Streamclip (or other free converter) to transcode the file to your desired mobile device target preset and import the resulting file to iTunes.

Jon,  How do you save the data in an MOV file container?

Jon,  How do you save the data in an MOV file container?

The "Save As..." option in QT 7 Pro/QT X will copy the current data to an MOV file container. (MPEG Streamclip also has a "Save As..." option but additionally offers the user the option to use an MOV, MP4, or AVI file container if the compressed data allows such a container. I.e., using an MP4 container, for instance, may strip certain tracks from the resultant file.) In any case, I previously mentioned this when I thought the OP was trying to import an AVI file to iTunes. iTunes does not like the AVI file container and will baulk when trying to import an AVI file even if the data is properly compressed for iTunes/mobile device use. If you are actually transcoding the AVI data using the share or export option, then you don't have to worry about the files being in an AVI container since the export options will normally place the newly compressed data in an iTunes compatible file container.

Got it to work! 

I downloaded the free MPEG Streamclip, opened the file, Saved it As MPEG-4, copied to iTunes, and was able to Sync with my iPhone.

Thank you!!!!