Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email questions

Sorry for all the questions, just got a MBP and there's a few things I've noticed re the mail programme that I'm not used to... after using Outlook on Win for years...

Hope you can clear them up for me.... Would probably help others on here who have switched from Windows too, because it's quite a different set-up.

Just finding out what I can before deciding whether I need to purchase Outlook... be nice not to!

Thanks!

1) I'm assuming the 'Get Mail' is the send and receive button, but it shows no sign of anything in mail activity when you are using it, so don't know if it's working or not unless something is coming in. Outlook showed movement even when not receiving so you knew it was checking ok.

2) Mail activity showed receiving 2 of 2 but only 1 came in and nothing went to junk.

3) When it said receiving there was quite a delay of it showing in the inbox, Is that usual on this programme even when it's a one line email, nothing bigger?

4) Would like to see bigger font in Inbox list of emails.. Is that possible or only on the actual emails?

5) i don't want my picture/avatar on a business email in the top right hand corner, why is it there? It's on all emails from and sent to, the avatar they make you use when you first start the Mac. Wondered where that would crop up as not seen it anywhere else since.

6) I only use the one account and yet on top left when it shows sentmessages there are 256 messages it has downloaded when i set up account today, and they are only the ones sent from my iPhone, (which incidentally were messages deleted months ago) but below where it shows'Sent/Spam/Trash' the 'Sent' folder is only showing 29 messages but some are from last year? Confused,... Why are there two and both different dates of 'sent' emails for the same account?

7) How do you differentiate between 'Spam' and 'Junk'? I thought it was the same thing, but you have one folder of each on here?

8) Just found the Trash folder, as it wasn't there which I've now got under Mailboxes, and again there's 2 of them there now, a sub folder, one 'On My Mac' and the other my name account? And then ANOTHER trash one below where the Sent/Spam/Trash' is, and that one is empty! Again, I've only one account on there.

9) Why offer me 'Load Images' on incoming emails when the picture is already showing in the body of the email?

10) Is the 'ding' alert for new messages guided by the volume for the whole MacBook, because it's very low and don't hear it.

That's all for now...

Thank you for reading

As an afterthought, cutting and pasting from the email into another page, ie. this one, all the lines went over each other and different point sizes, Either this site or the email prog?

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 22, 2011 1:48 PM

31 replies

May 22, 2011 2:10 PM in response to the tall

It's probably not a good idea to post so many questions at one time. Anyway, I can answer Q1.

If you type cmd-0 (command and zero) then it opens up the Activity window and you can see the progress of all sending and receiving. Alternatively, there's a button like an up arrow in a box on the bottom left of the screen. You can click on this to see a docked version of the Activity window

Bob

May 22, 2011 4:10 PM in response to the tall

2) Is it an IMAP account? You'll see that behavior as it synchronizes mailboxes.

3) Not sure. I'll try to pay attention to mine and see what I think.

4) Mail Preferences, Fonts and Colors.

5) It doesn't show up anywhere but in your mailbox. If you have pictures for contacts in your Address Book, it will show that picture for emails from that person. It doesn't get sent out, nor is it attached to the email.

6) Not sure

7) The Spam folder may be from your IMAP account. Select it and then select Use this Mailbox for > Junk from the Mailbox menu.

8) See 7

9) That setting only applies to embedded html images that are served up externally. If the image is an attachment, it will show.

10) Yes.

May 22, 2011 5:48 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you. Just tried to view a Word doc on here from my old windows USB stick and opened in 'text' which positions everything all over the place, and doesn't show the logo graphic. If I buy word for mac will it show it as it should be seen, and is there a 'convert to pdf' or does iwork do the same thing and worth investing in instead of word?

Thanks again

May 23, 2011 5:05 AM in response to the tall

What's the deal with 'gif' on emails on here, they move in a Windows OS but not on Mac, just shows a still image when you open them.

And is there a way of showing the size of an attachment in the columns rather than just the paperclip and the number of attachments? I know it's in the body of the email but any way for it to be shown in the lists like Outlook?

Thanks

May 23, 2011 5:12 AM in response to the tall

This has strayed from the topic, but note that Word for Mac won't necessarily render a document in exactly the same way as the Windows version. Given that, it may not makes sense to choose to buy Word instead of something else just to read a few files, when there's no guarantee that even Word will display them the way you want. If you're going to need Word compatibility day-to-day, though, Pages does a poor job with complex Word documents (especially docs made by inexperienced folks that have all kinds of weird and unnecessary formatting codes), Neo/OpenOffice do better but are slow and buggy (in my experience), so you may want to bite the bullet and get a copy of MS Office for Mac.

I used to do a lot of Word-to-PDF conversions for my wife's office, to post documents on their web site. Pages and NeoOffice were all I needed - one or the other would display the file right. Since they've gotten newer versions of Word and have started saving everything as .docx files, I've given up. Neither of those apps was sufficient anymore. I was spending up to 30 minutes reformatting every document before converting to PDF, so now I just require them to do the PDF conversion themselves and send me the result for posting.

May 23, 2011 5:58 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thomas A Reed wrote:

Neo/OpenOffice do better but are slow and buggy (in my experience), so you may want to bite the bullet and get a copy of MS Office for Mac.

Gotta disagree with you here. I use NeoOffice on a daily basis and it is not in the slightest buggy. On the very very rare occasions I have reported bugs they've always been fixed within 48 hours. I will agree that it's slow to load the first time, but after that it's no slower than MS Office.

OpenOffice is a serious office contender, and NeoOffice is a beautiful implementation of it for Macs. OO has been around in various forms for at least 10 years and has a very mature code base. BUGGY it is NOT.

;-)

Bob

Email questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.