Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat can't communicate with the Jabber account

Got the instructions for "Configuring iChat for Google Talk" from Google at:

http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24076

But after adding my Gmail info. I keep getting this error message:

iChat can't communicate with the Jabber account "xxx.yyy@gmail.com"

Anybody out there come across this and solved this sucker?

THANKS

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on May 22, 2011 2:14 PM

5 replies

May 22, 2011 6:45 PM in response to Connie Hawkins42

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/444273?answerId=2135957022#2135957022

This discussion shows that we're not the only ones and that Google has a crap service which either can't connect or drops way too often.

Edit: Lol I found out that Google wasn't the problem in my case. My problem was that I secured my Google account with every possible security option, so I first had to go to 2-step security and authorize iChat. If you use 2-step as well, make sure you login with that password.

May 23, 2011 1:25 PM in response to Connie Hawkins42

Hi,

You have entered the account info as a Jabber Name and not chosen the Google option

With iChat Open go to the iChat Menu > Preferences > Accounts

Click on the Plus Button at the bottom of the List.

In the top item in the new pane Choose GoogleTalk.

Add your ID exactly as it appears when you Log in to the Web Mail page at Google (Mail seems to except either ending, @google.com or @gmail.com but the Google Talk server does not)

Enter in the password

Click the Done button

You should now have Buddy List that Logs On

In the Account list in iChat you will now have at least three Accounts Listed (the faulty one, the new one and Bonjour)

If you then check the Server Setting tab/button on both the "google" accounts you will find the new one says the server in talk.google.com

The other will use the last part of your ID (in your case you entered a name/ID ending @gmail.com).

The reason for your confusion is that those Google Instructions are for iChat 3

You have "Missed" the bit about changing the Server Name in the Server Setting tab to talk.google.com as in fact you can add it as a Jabber account and then change the server name the same way.

You could change the server info in the "old" account or you can highlight it the list then press the minus button to Delete it.

One other thing.

It is important that Talk is Enabled in your everyday Google Account Setting (Not the mail ones).
This does add the Chat option to the Mail Web page and of course allows iChat to use the GoogleTalk servers.

I have several Jabber Accounts including Google as well as several AIM valid Logins.

I don't find the Google servers go Off line or drop connections any more (Nowadays) than the AIM ones or other Jabber servers.

User uploaded file
9:21 PM Monday; May 23, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.7)
 Mac OS X (10.6.7),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

May 23, 2011 1:31 PM in response to Bubbelz

Hi Bubbelz,

I am glad to see someone using the Search facility.

I am not so sure about linking to a 5 year old thread though.

Admittedly it does refer to iChat 3 (in OS 10.4.x) and the then new Google Instructions.

It would be useful if Google did post newer instructions but Connie does clearly state she is on 10.6.4

The realistic thing about that thread is it provides a Snapshot of that moment in time.

User uploaded file
9:31 PM Monday; May 23, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.7)
 Mac OS X (10.6.7),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

iChat can't communicate with the Jabber account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.