Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Printer to laptop with Parallel-USB cable

Hi

I have a second-hand A3 laser printer, Epson Aculaser C8500. And would like to connect it to my MacBookPro (OSX 10.6).

Behind the printer there's only a parallel port, and a ethernet port, no USB.

So I bought a "USB to IEEE 1284 Printer Cable", by e-solution, and bi-directional.

Had the Epson driver downloaded and installed, when I plugged the cable, the computer recognize it in the Print&Fax, but when I send something to print (small as a textedit file), it seems to hang on the "sending print data" status and never print an actual sheet I sent through.

The printer itself is functional as I can print things like "config sheet", by directly controlling on the printer.

I don't see any available settings on Print/Fax preference which I could select what port to use. But I am aware that the previous owner uses a PC to run it, which she plugs it directly with parallel to PS2 cable back of her PC. So, is it because the older printers (with parallel port) are not compatible with Mac?

I also tried to use ethernet cable to connect the printer directly to my Mac. Now here there's a rumour that some say ethernet cable do not communicate between computer and printer. Some say it does print via ethernet cable. I have connected it but nothing is auto show up on print/fax.

I just want to make it working. Print what I sent. Don't need any internet sharing or advance stuff.

Other ideas:

Would an parallel to firewire cable work?

Would an external print server work? Those that has parallel in and ethernet out.

I haven't try to use parallel windows, would the USB-Parallel cable be more recognized or could set manuelly? Is it worth trying?

Please help,

Jack

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 22, 2011 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2011 11:54 PM

Jack,

Do you have the latest drivers from here?

http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Laser/Epson-AcuLaser-C8500/Drive rs-Support?supportLandingPage=true#

You may have a problem with 10.6 not supporting Appletalk configurations. Can you devote a 10.5 desktop to be a print server?

This article explains why you may not be able to configure your laptop to see the printer:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3771

It is a long article. Here is the language you need:

"AppleTalk-based printers

AppleTalk is a protocol that is not supported in Mac OS X v10.6. Many network printers have support for IP-based printing protocols that can be used instead of AppleTalk. Please see the "To add a printer via the Print & Fax preferences pane" section for information about how to add a printer using IP. Or, visit your printer vendor's website or contact your printer vendor for technical support.

If your printer can only use the AppleTalk protocol, the printer can be used if it is connected to, and shared by, an appropriate AppleTalk-capable printer server. Snow Leopard can then use that print share to print via a supported IP-based protocol. See the "How to add a printer" section above for details about how to connect to a shared printer to your Snow Leopard-based Mac."

Jim~

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2011 11:54 PM in response to yan chak

Jack,

Do you have the latest drivers from here?

http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Laser/Epson-AcuLaser-C8500/Drive rs-Support?supportLandingPage=true#

You may have a problem with 10.6 not supporting Appletalk configurations. Can you devote a 10.5 desktop to be a print server?

This article explains why you may not be able to configure your laptop to see the printer:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3771

It is a long article. Here is the language you need:

"AppleTalk-based printers

AppleTalk is a protocol that is not supported in Mac OS X v10.6. Many network printers have support for IP-based printing protocols that can be used instead of AppleTalk. Please see the "To add a printer via the Print & Fax preferences pane" section for information about how to add a printer using IP. Or, visit your printer vendor's website or contact your printer vendor for technical support.

If your printer can only use the AppleTalk protocol, the printer can be used if it is connected to, and shared by, an appropriate AppleTalk-capable printer server. Snow Leopard can then use that print share to print via a supported IP-based protocol. See the "How to add a printer" section above for details about how to connect to a shared printer to your Snow Leopard-based Mac."

Jim~

May 23, 2011 3:57 AM in response to Appaloosa mac man

Hi Jim thanks for the info.

Is that mean definately no chance to get this printer working with Mac OSX10.6?

How about connecting with Ethernet cable? I tried plugged directly from printer to laptop via ethernet cable. and go to print&fax. Nothing auto show up, some teach you go to Add Printer > IP > Protocol: IPP, and then type in the Address IP, which is shown on the printer config sheet. But still the "Print Using:" only show a normal "PostScript Printer" and not the model no. of the printer.

The question is, does an ethernet cable alone communicates between printer and computer?

Jack

May 23, 2011 9:13 AM in response to yan chak

Jack,

The answer is in your question.

"Add Printer > IP > Protocol: IPP, and then type in the Address IP,"

It is all about the word Protocol. OS 10.6 dropped support for the Appletalk protocol and went straight IP. So, a 10.6 Mac can talk IP to a 10.5 Mac or PC print server, then the print server talks Appletalk protocol to the printer or some PC protocol to the printer. More and more technology is being based on internet connectivity and not on a local area network mind set. Welcome to the age of Internet dominance.

Jim~

Connecting Printer to laptop with Parallel-USB cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.