Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect a stereo receiver to Apple TV and stream iTunes to my stereo?

I copied this question from a discussion archived from 2008, it's pretty much my question, although I hope to get a little more information on the answers... My stereo receiver (Sony STR-D511) is an older one but currently my TV (signal from Directv DVR) plays through the receiver on video 1 but I can't get the Apple TV to play through the stereo... My TV is quite new, a philips 1080, and the Apple TV is hooked in to HDMI 3, the Directv box is hooked into AV3, I believe I'm having issue with all the different sources my TV has and somehow I'm unable to cross the paths (make the connections) any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I would like the ability to play my itunes via Apple TV through my stereo receiver so that it's on the Stereo speakers rather then the TV Speakers.

Posted on May 22, 2011 8:04 PM

15 replies

May 22, 2011 10:31 PM in response to lucianneapple

Here's how I did it.

I connected my Apple TV to the TV using HDMI 1, my cable box is HDMI 2, and dvd is Component 1. From the back of the tv there should be an audio out spot for cables. Take those cables and plug them into the receiver, and then it should work. Try that and let me know. Sorry if it's not clear, but if you have questions let me know! Good Luck!

May 23, 2011 7:51 AM in response to prestonmarks

Hi, and firstly thanks for the reply... I think my TV back has different labeled areas, so I took a photo and posted -- I'm bad with the electronics terms and the translating of it all - ( I attached a pic) - I hope this helps with the photos you can also see where I have

thing plugged in - that one with svideo/rca cables is AV 3, where my DVRbox is going - the red/white cables on the right without a yellow go to my video 1 input on my receiver... the cables on the side are for my dvd player which the audio only works thru TV as well... then also below the red/white ones is HDMI3 where the apple tv is going... that's why i thought the stereo would work because its right below the cables that go to the stereo?

i hope this helps thanks again for your time

cheers

L-

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

May 23, 2011 10:23 AM in response to prestonmarks

Sorry, am now at work and do not have exact tv model # with me, (I did a search at Philips.com, to see if I find something similar, but the images of the back connectors looked different, I can say that it's a 42" Philips LCD monitor from around 2008-2009. And as for the audio ports those i believe are the ones (RED/WHITE only) that i have going into my sony receiver video1

I can imagine that none of that is helpful but until I get back home that's all i have - again i truly appreciate your time and thoughts.

May 23, 2011 12:32 PM in response to prestonmarks

Oh, I think I understand what you mean;

-Disconnect the cables going straight into my Stereo receiver from Directv.

-Have the DIrectv rca cables go into tv only

-Have the audio rca cables go from back of tv into my Stereo?

(only have cables go from tv to stereo in other words)?

then when I go to play Apple TV - mute my tv

Is that right?

If so, I'll give it a try when i get home - Thanks!!

Lu-

May 23, 2011 4:56 PM in response to lucianneapple

I'd be inclined to leave everything as is and run HDMI from ATV to the TV, for video (I see you have the HDMI ins) and run an optical cord to the receiver from ATV for audio.

I don't know if you prefer using the TV's speakers from your DVR and Direct TV, but optical inputs have been around forever, (even my ancient Denon receiver has 3 optical 'inputs') so I'd think you'd want to run audio from ALL sources to the receiver and never use the TV's speakers, ever. (DVR, Direct TV, and ATV through your stereo) It will just mean you will will remove any 'audio' connections you have into your TV now. (despite the misleading title, optical cables carry audio....fiber optics)

I use all 3 optical inputs on my Denon for audio from 3 sources. (ATV, BDP, and Cable box) I've never fired up the speakers on my TV, nor the TV I had prior to this one. End of any muting issues)

FYI, my Denon has NO HDMI inputs......HDMI from all 3 sources go into the TV's 3 HDMI inputs.

May 25, 2011 7:49 AM in response to prestonmarks

Hi Again, so I tried your suggestion but it didn't work. I'm pretty positive I had an understanding of it, but I could be wrong; When I hooked directv into TV (via AV3), then audio from TV to receiver (Video 1 in), and then I took out the directv to receiver connection (i had 2 components into receiver originally, directv + TV), i had no audio thru receiver, from directv or any apple tv or dvd,

As i have a very busy couple of days, once the weekend arrives, I'll take another go at it... if you have any other suggestions, I'm totally open to all and I do really appreciate your time. I've also taken a photo of the back of my receiver just in case... thanks again. (No photos of DVR, as i figured it's a normal dvr)User uploaded file

as you can see the audio cables are in Video 1, audio in...

again thanks for your time and any other suggestions you might have

cheers

L-

Jun 11, 2011 5:03 PM in response to lucianneapple

I have a similar problem. I have hooked up the apple TV via hdmi and it all works beautifully through the TV sound. I have also hooked up the TV to a logitech surround sound system which works when I turn TV sound off. However the kicker is, apple TV sound doesn't work through the speakers.

I am at a loss why it would only work via the TV speakers and not through the attached stereo when the TV works with that setup.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Can I connect a stereo receiver to Apple TV and stream iTunes to my stereo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.