Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recommended macbook pro maintenance

Hello folks:

Any advice out there? I am a former PC user and it seems weird not to be doing anything to delete extraneous files and other unnecessary junk that may be hogging resources. So if any one can shed light on things to do - or not to do - I would be most grateful. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), macbook about a week old

Posted on May 22, 2011 10:07 PM

5 replies

May 22, 2011 10:13 PM in response to binojmatthew

Yes, that is certainly an awful feeling. Get used to it. If you truly feel lost without all that maintenance garbage, then periodically use the Power button to shut down the computer abnormally a half dozen or so times until it no longer boots. Then we can give you plenty to do. 🙂

Or:

Kappy's Personal Suggestions for OS X Maintenance

For disk repairs use Disk Utility. For situations DU cannot handle the best third-party utilities are: Disk Warrior; DW only fixes problems with the disk directory, but most disk problems are caused by directory corruption; Disk Warrior 4.x is now Intel Mac compatible. TechTool Pro provides additional repair options including file repair and recovery, system diagnostics, and disk defragmentation. TechTool Pro 4.5.1 or higher are Intel Mac compatible; Drive Genius is similar to TechTool Pro in terms of the various repair services provided. Versions 1.5.1 or later are Intel Mac compatible.

OS X performs certain maintenance functions that are scheduled to occur on a daily, weekly, or monthly period. The maintenance scripts run in the early AM only if the computer is turned on 24/7 (no sleep.) If this isn't the case, then an excellent solution is to download and install a shareware utility such as Macaroni, JAW PseudoAnacron, or Anacron that will automate the maintenance activity regardless of whether the computer is turned off or asleep. Dependence upon third-party utilities to run the periodic maintenance scripts had been significantly reduced in Tiger and Leopard. These utilities have limited or no functionality with Snow Leopard and should not be installed.

OS X automatically defragments files less than 20 MBs in size, so unless you have a disk full of very large files there's little need for defragmenting the hard drive. As for virus protection there are few if any such animals affecting OS X. You can protect the computer easily using the freeware Open Source virus protection software ClamXAV. Personally I would avoid most commercial anti-virus software because of their potential for causing problems.

I would also recommend downloading the shareware utility TinkerTool System that you can use for periodic maintenance such as removing old logfiles and archives, clearing caches, etc. Other utilities are also available such as Onyx, Leopard Cache Cleaner, CockTail, and Xupport, for example.

For emergency repairs install the freeware utility Applejack. If you cannot start up in OS X, you may be able to start in single-user mode from which you can run Applejack to do a whole set of repair and maintenance routines from the commandline. Note that AppleJack 1.5 is required for Leopard. AppleJack 1.6 is compatible with Snow Leopard.

When you install any new system software or updates be sure to repair the hard drive and permissions beforehand. I also recommend booting into safe mode before doing system software updates.

Get an external Firewire drive at least equal in size to the internal hard drive and make (and maintain) a bootable clone/backup. You can make a bootable clone using the Restore option of Disk Utility. You can also make and maintain clones with good backup software. My personal recommendations are (order is not significant):

Backuplist

Carbon Copy Cloner

Data Backup

Deja Vu

iBackup

JaBack

Silver Keeper

MimMac

Retrospect

Super Flexible File Synchronizer

SuperDuper!

Synchronize Pro! X

SyncTwoFolders

Synk Pro

Synk Standard

Tri-Backup

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQs on maintenance, optimization, virus protection, and backup and restore.

Additional suggestions will be found in Mac Maintenance Quick Assist.

Referenced software can be found at CNet Downloads or MacUpdate.

recommended macbook pro maintenance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.