Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color Geometry room ...

Will the Geometry room in Color render a better cropped image than if I just used the motion tab in FCP? Basically what I'm doing is creating a close-up shot from a mid shot in an interview. I rendered out a cropped [zoomed in] image from Color and it looks great especially after adding a little bit of sharpening ... but wondering if FCP's motion tab is the same exact engine and would produce same results without having to go through Color at all ... anyone?

Thanks!

8-Core 3.0 GHz Intel Xeon MacPro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on May 22, 2011 11:48 PM

8 replies

May 25, 2011 12:35 PM in response to Christopher Sims

If you are not using FCP, Color will do the geometry, it seems a bit combersome for this app. Which is better? Use your eyes. Do one on each app and compare the two. Since Color does not deal with geometry on the round trip back to Color, I would wonder if that was done for a reason. Such as it's not very good. But try it and report back.

Got a question for you. Is this just for one shot, or a series of shots?

Rikk

May 25, 2011 1:11 PM in response to Rikk Desgres

Thanks for the reply Rikk. Ya I was usiing it on one long clip from a mid shot of an interview. I wanted to cut into the mid shot and create a closeup.

I did do a test. I rendered a 32 floating point render and then imported the final render into fcp. I found that fcp's motion tab render was much crisper. At a 200 zoom I could see detail in the iris of my subjects eye ... but could not see detail in the iris of my subject from the clip rendered with Color.

I found what fcp did was very useful and worked very well especially after applying a slight sharpening to it. You could never tell when cutting from mid to closeup shot that it was actually the same clip. Came out great.

Thanks Rikk

Color Geometry room ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.