Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac and World Of Warcraft

It hurts to buy a new mac just for gaming, but since I don't want a pc....

I actually own a MacBook Pro with Nvidia 8600m, 512 MB Vram. While I can still play, all setting on low, in solo and decently in 10 man raids, in 25 man I get something like 9-10 fps.

What would be the performances of the iMac at native resolution ? Would the high end 21.5" be good enough ? Would the high end 27" be better or worse at native resolution ?

I was also thinking about the Mac Pro, since I already own an old ACD but it looks a bit too overkill...

Posted on May 23, 2011 2:47 AM

10 replies

Jun 28, 2011 7:28 AM in response to tago

I play WOW with a trail account for like ten days in a entry level 13i MacBook Pro 09 and it play ok,also i play Warhammer Online and i find difference playing it now in a 21.5 2011 2.7GHz imac,may Warhammer is more intensive and it works better in a newer machine.WOW play really smooth.I recomend you get the 27i if you can because is bigger and may nicer to play and if you can spend the money go for the better one,i mean with the better imac is more than enough and you always can customize it with better processor,graphics card etc.I don't think you need a Mac Pro the new imac shall be more than enough.Look at that:http://store.apple.com/uk/configure/MC814B/A?mco=MjIwNTQ0Njk

But people right with that power you can run Aperture3 or the New Final Cut Pro is like a waste for just WOW but also i think that WOW is go a run really smoothly and the machine can be for more years than using it with more intensive software.Anyway good luck choosing your new imac.Also you can book a shopping appointment in your near Apple Store and see what they think.WOW is running in any imac,the better the better ...

Jun 28, 2011 7:38 AM in response to tago

I won't use it for just WOW, but yes, given that at home I use the computer for no real work, apart from gaming the MBP still suits my needs. Let's face it, unless you use your computer for a real productive task, every single computer on the market is a waste for the typical casual user...

Jun 28, 2011 4:27 PM in response to tago

I recently bought the upper end 21.5" iMac, bumped it to 8GB of ram, and it kicks a$$ at wow. I've been a die-hard Mac user for the last 15 years and a wow player for almost four, so there's no way I would buy a PC for home just to play wow. 😁

As much as I love the 27" iMac I can't bring myself to pay 2k for a computer (plus it was just too large for my desk!) so I went for the upper 21.5" and bumped the ram a couple weeks later. Not all my settings are maxed but most are if not one step down, and I have zero lag and no screen tearing or stutter. I even had to cap my frame rate at 45 FPS because it was soaring up into the upper 90 FPS range and I was worried about how hot the card was getting! But it's a great machine for wow so I wouldn't hesitate. It's the same internals of the entry 27" and it doesn't have to push that huge display. Anyway, fwiw, I've been very very pleased with its wow performance. Good luck!

Jun 29, 2011 1:28 PM in response to tago

I have the mid-2010 i7 27" and was a little worried about how WoW would perform on it. Don't worry, it plays beautifiully on the iMacs. My sister recently bought the 21.5" i7 and hers is just as nice, if not better. I like the extra real estate the 27" offers, but I have to admit I didn't really notice it when I played on hers recently. I'd spend the money on the processor, graphics card and memory before I went for the big screen...unless you can do both! My biggest beef is the mouse and how it works in WoW. You can program it for 2 button touch, but I'm used to just one button. WoW will let you use a mouse with like 5 buttons or more. I suppose you could plug in an old PC mouse just to play WoW. WoW support page for Macs has great recommendations on what to set the grahic parameters at for the best performance. I follow those recommendations and get 60 fps almost all the time, with the exception being large raids or capital cities. No need for the Pro option, in my opinion.

Jul 5, 2011 6:19 PM in response to Marryin' Man

Raided 25 man on MacBook 2007 no problem Karazhan (apart from RL being an ***). Moved onto MacBook Pro 2.53 Duo no isues with gameplay new zones. Stopped playing WoW due to finance. Now WoW is free [to lvl20] I have started playing again.

One funny thing I noticed in latest patch 4.1/2. Blizzard have completely ripped off the Mac App Store install icon for talents in the exact same way a Mac App gets installed on your system. i.e. it floats into your bar.

I play a Rogue now and learnt a talent at 15 or whatever, the talent icon drifted into my bar Exactly the same way Apps are installed on a Mac via the Mac App Store.

Kudos to Blizz for free gameplay and taking animation from Apple.

From playing on a old 800mhz imac (football shape) to MBPro I have never had issues with game play, my PC counterparts have nicer graphics but cannot work with teamspeak/chat,they also struggle with running wowhead in the background. As a mac user I run all the tacts, chats and loot options which often end up with me if it has Agi on it (no roll for the master)

iMac and World Of Warcraft

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.