Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iMovie '11 clips in the "timeline" be lengthened?

When I select a portion of a clip and transfer it to the timeline, I can shorten it, but I can't stretch it out as I can in FCP.

Am I at fault or is this feature unavailable?

24, Mac OS X (10.6.6), FCE 4 + FCS 3 . . . Little Knowledge, Many Opinions.

Posted on May 23, 2011 2:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2011 3:19 AM

Hi Ian,

Click on the small gear icon at the start of the clip and select Clip Trimmer. Here you can drag the ends in and out.

Also, clicking on the left/right arrow icon on either end of the clip will show an orange border around the first/last second of the clip. Grab the handles to drag in or out with 1 frame increments.

John

Message was edited by: John Cogdell

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2011 3:19 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Hi Ian,

Click on the small gear icon at the start of the clip and select Clip Trimmer. Here you can drag the ends in and out.

Also, clicking on the left/right arrow icon on either end of the clip will show an orange border around the first/last second of the clip. Grab the handles to drag in or out with 1 frame increments.

John

Message was edited by: John Cogdell

May 23, 2011 3:30 AM in response to John Cogdell

Ian - I just had another look at that. When you click on a clip to highlight it with a yellow border, handles appear at each end of the clip. As you've noted, you can drag inwards but not outwards (to extend the clip). I have a strong feeling that this used to work differently - perhaps an update messed things up. AppleMan may know the answer!

John

May 23, 2011 3:34 AM in response to John Cogdell

Sorry! It appears that our replies crossed each other!

Thanks John but it is not exactly what I meant.

Using the Clip Trimmer I can lengthen or shorten the portion of the clip I have selected but it opens in another window.

In FCE/FCP I can simply grab the end of the clip in the timeline and drag it out (as far as the limits of the master clip allow).

It appears that iMovie introduces an additional move, namely selecting and opening the Clip Trimmer.

Message was edited by: Ian R. Brown

May 23, 2011 3:53 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian R. Brown wrote:

In FCE/FCP I can simply grab the end of the clip in the timeline and drag it out (as far as the limits of the master clip allow).

Yes, I had assumed that's what you meant, but when I went into iMovie to double-check how it worked (amazing what you forget), I was surprised that I couldn't just drag out the ends. You can do this with audio tracks that are placed onto a clip thumbnail. They appear in green beneath the thumbnails.

As I mentioned in my second post, I have a recollection of being able to do what you describe, but something may have changed it. It does seem odd that we have to open a separate window (Clip Trimmer) to perform a simple task.

John

PS. Just looked at your profile - love your sense of humour! 🙂

Message was edited by: John Cogdell - added PS

May 23, 2011 4:39 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Yes, you can do this, but you can only stretch up to 1 second (or 30 frames for NTSC) at a time.

To do this, you should see a small icon at both the lower right and lower left of your project clip. The icon looks sort of like a reverse and forward button on a tape recorder. This button will change the color of the Yellow Border to orange. You can now drag this orange handle for up to one second. You can repeat to get more than one second.

Can iMovie '11 clips in the "timeline" be lengthened?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.