Skip navigation

Shuttle Xpress Black

841 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2011 7:43 AM by David Bogie Chq-1 RSS
mr88cet Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 23, 2011 3:37 AM

Does anybody here have any experience(s) - positive or negative - with this jog/shuttle control:

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-Design-00496-0-Shuttle-Xpress/dp/B0032Y0OH0/ref=sr _1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306108406&sr=8-3

Under Final Cut?

Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 Xeon, MacBook Pro 17", iPhone 4, iPad 3G, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • David Bogie Chq-1 Level 7 Level 7 (24,685 points)
    May 23, 2011 7:58 AM (in response to mr88cet)

We have a pair of those. They're interesting, my partner uses his but I cannot tolerate the thing. It's not Contour's problem, it's mostly Apple's lame software. FCP is not smart enough to discern that the presence of a device should override the data entry. That is, a field like fast forward can simply fill with lllllllllllllllllllll.

Ye Olde Media 100 was smart enough to know the difference between tape and clip transport and text or field data entry. I've never understood why FCP has the gumption to presume to know where I want a clip to go (via the thrice-damned autoselect) but can't figure out I want to jog or cruise through a clip.

I grew up using sony's ultracool jog wheel systems. They were massive steel knobs and wheels with ballistic-like feedback and  inertia. Nothing has ever replaced that feeling.

You will like the Contour, it's a nicely designed and stable unit with flexible software.

bogiesan

May 23, 2011 9:37 AM (in response to mr88cet)

Ah, I thought you knew what you were looking at.

I've not used the controls in the FCP window for several years, I use the keyboard shortcuts, j-k-l and i-o. Those cover 80% of my jog and shuttle and in-out setting requirements.

I fully expected FCP, by the time it had reached version 7, to know when a control surface has been installed and to be able to understand the signals form that device intelligently. Sadly, FCP does not. To fast forward in the FCP interface, you can hit the lower case L key multiple times to make the clip move faster. You can reduce the speed and eventually go backwards by hitting the j key. All the Shuttle does is send a bunch of J or L keystrokes so if you want to shuttle a clip but are not in the mode to move the clip, whatever text filed was active will be filled with Js or Ls. It's an incredibly stupid oversight and inconvenient as heck if you happen to be editing a marker, file name, or a text generator.

The buttons are all programable. You can set them to do in and out points, splits, enters, selects, nudges. The software for the device is quite flexible and it comes with presets for all Adobe, Apple and dozens of tools for which a linear motion wheel is applicable.

bogiesan

May 23, 2011 4:01 PM (in response to mr88cet)

Try google?

The state of the art in og wheels is JL Cooper. $$$$! Very slick, only played on one.

Bella makes something integrated into a keyboard. I have no experience.

Euphonix make some dials.

Griffin makes the simple PowerMate.

DIY?

http://bradfortner.wordpress.com/2010/12/07/make-your-own-jogshuttle-wheel-out-o f-an-old-video-head-drum/

bogiesan

• ReidC Calculating status...
    May 23, 2011 9:46 PM (in response to David Bogie Chq-1)

I have both the Shuttle & the Bella keyboard with integrated jog wheel. Whether or not they actually achieve jog/shuttle in the same way, I find the operation, ballistics, lag times, etc very similar, with the Bella wheel a tiny bit more responsive when one wishes to stop the jog or shuttle operation. The dedicated programmable/assignable function buttons on the Contour are very cool & very useful. Having said that, I'm in the market to sell my almost-new Contour. No need to have both.

Reid C

Jun 9, 2011 7:43 AM (in response to mr88cet)

Just got a note from Contour Design which suggests more information is available at their website or product support site.

They apparently have new setting for Adobe CS5.5. This implies they've got additional information on how to set it up for FCP.

http://contourdesign.freeforums.org/adobe-cs-5-5-mac-t240.html

http://contourdesign.freeforums.org/share-your-shuttle-settings-f9.html

bogiesan

Message was edited by: David Bogie Chq-1

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.