Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems With Mac OS X Files on Vista

I have an SD card that I use frequently to transfer files between my MacBook Pro and two different Vista PCs. The problem is that whenever I connect the SD to one of the PCs a message box pops up telling me to connect the additional volumes of the multi-volume set.

I do believe that the problem is caused by the Mac OS X system files that it puts on the card automatically, because if I delete them then the problem disappears too.

I also know that the problem does not occur on Windows 7.

It's not too big of a deal, all I have to do is close the window, but it's pretty annoying, especially when it pops up more than once at the same time.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Mid 2010 model

Posted on May 23, 2011 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2011 5:57 AM

You'd have to ask on a Vista forum how to get it to ignore the files.

The three things it will put on the disk are a .Trashes folder, a .ds_store file which holds the window layout specs, and the metadata for the files you copied. There is a program called BlueHarvest that will help prevent some (maybe all) of that.

Another option is to use the dot_clean command in Terminal to clean off the metadata files. I don't think it will remove .Trashes and .DS_Store. You would type

dot_clean -m

Leave a space after the command and then drag the USB volume icon onto the Terminal window.

BlueHarvest is obviously easier, but it does cost a small amount.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2011 5:57 AM in response to Timothy Westman-Barth

You'd have to ask on a Vista forum how to get it to ignore the files.

The three things it will put on the disk are a .Trashes folder, a .ds_store file which holds the window layout specs, and the metadata for the files you copied. There is a program called BlueHarvest that will help prevent some (maybe all) of that.

Another option is to use the dot_clean command in Terminal to clean off the metadata files. I don't think it will remove .Trashes and .DS_Store. You would type

dot_clean -m

Leave a space after the command and then drag the USB volume icon onto the Terminal window.

BlueHarvest is obviously easier, but it does cost a small amount.

May 24, 2011 1:10 PM in response to Timothy Westman-Barth

I just want to say that Apple Support Communities is so much more helpful than Microsoft Answers, this isn't the first time I've used Microsoft Answers to find a solution to my problem, and on previous occasions, and this one, it just seems like whoever replies completely doesn't understand what I'm saying, or just doesn't know what they're talking about.

Problems With Mac OS X Files on Vista

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.