Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficulty sharing photos between projects

I love Aperture, but I am having a couple (unrelated) problems at the moment. I am not sure if Aperture was designed this way, but I can't seem to copy photos from one project to another. I have tried creating a version from the master and moving either the version or the master, but Aperture moves both to the other project and leaves no copy in the original project. Is this an intentional feature? Should I just make a light table or an album instead of a folder or a project (since it seems possible to share copies across those storage formats.

Also, when I go to pin pictures up in the Places viewer, no photos show up in the filmstrip at the bottom. Any thoughts as to why that might happen?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 23, 2011 1:42 PM

8 replies

May 23, 2011 2:31 PM in response to Evan Kramer

Read up on "Albums". A Project is a set of original images. An Album can contain original images (in their projects) and/or adjusted images, which are called Versions. A Folder can contain Projects and/or Albums.

Think of a Project as a repository for images or 'negatives' to use a film term. An image has only one negative but you can make multiple Versions and put them into albums.

May 23, 2011 7:31 PM in response to Neil G

To wvriverrat: The example I ran into was a project I was doing about volunteer work in the Dominican Republic that contained a photo I also wanted to include in a world portraits project. Easy to get around, but I see what you're saying about the way you use it. My organization isn't the best anyway.

To Neil G: I like the thought about "negatives." That's a helpful way to think of it.

Thanks again to both of you!

Difficulty sharing photos between projects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.