5 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2011 7:00 AM by Ilovm
Allister Gourlay Level 2 (445 points)

i need to create a n NTSC dvd for a client so i need to convert my QT file to NTSC in compressor.

Now i used the standard PAL to NTSC preset but the final file seems to be huge compared to the PAL M2V i created for the PAL version of the DVD and also still seems to be complete QT file? jot a M2V and AC3 file for use in DVDSPro.

Anyone have a workflow for the conversion in Compressor (please not the Natress conversion as it really seems so confusing to me)

Many thanks

Final Cut Studio '09, Mac OS X (10.6.7), MacPro 2x iMacs Macbook G5 Mac
  • BenB Level 6 (9,065 points)

You need a PAL-DV QuickTime file to start with, not MPEG-2 and AC3 files.

• Allister Gourlay Level 2 (445 points)

BenB yeah im ok with that i am using the qt file i exported from FCP - my problem is that when i choose the pal to ntsc preset in compressor i cant define the film length ie when u use the pal presets i get a choice of 70 min 90 min 120 min but with the pal to ntsc you don't seem to get that choice?

• Ilovm Level 1 (20 points)

Why don't you use Toast to burn a NTSC DVD with your Pal file.

It should ask you if you wish to transcode. Did an acceptable job with a few DVDs in my hands.

Ivan

• Allister Gourlay Level 2 (445 points)

Really IIovm? -  didnt know it did that - whats the workflow?

Will it give me amv2 and ac3 file to import into DVDSpro so i can create a NTSC DVD with menus and chapters?

Message was edited by: Allister Gourlay

• Ilovm Level 1 (20 points)

Well, not that fast...

If I was going to do it again I would proceed as I did recently i.e.

Use toast to get a NTSC DVD (after accepting transcoding by Toast)

Use DVDxDV (or equivalent, this is what I use) or MPEG streamclip to extract a .mov file corresponding to your DVD files (if several VTS, DVDxDV is doing a very good job for each separated parts)

Then, the resulting .mov file that you can play in QT can be imported ditrectly (video and sound) into FCP for further editing, and compression via compressor to get mv2 and ac3 that you can use into DVDSP

May not be the typical professionnal way...but it works.

Ivan