Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Energy saver settings do not stick when set in system preferences

For some reason when I restore the default settings for the energy saver settings, the settings go back to a custom setting I set months prior of Display Sleep at 1 minute.

Here is what I am doing:

• Going to "System Preferences"
  • Going to "Energy Saver"
  • Pressing the button "Restore Defaults"
  • Everything goes back to the default settings of Computer Sleep of 10 minutes and Display Sleep of 10 minutes and I close the window out.
  • Problem happens: A bit later I come back to my iMac and wake it up, the setting is back to 1 minute of Display Sleep (which I did months ago, I no longer want that).

I have even locked the setting to prevent further changes. Which locks the settings in place like it should I believe. However, once the iMac sleeps and I wake it up in a couple of hours it switches back to the old setting I made months ago, 1 minute of Display Sleep, which I no longer want.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), All updates applied to the system.

Posted on May 23, 2011 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2011 10:20 PM

Delete the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist that resides in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/, restart, and reset the settings.

5 replies

Jun 5, 2011 2:08 PM in response to baltwo

Thanks for the fast reply!

I just now had a free moment to perform the steps you mentioned with one slight modification. Before performing the steps you mentioned I created a copy of the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist just to be safe. Then I removed the file you mentioned from that folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and restarted my machine. I really just wanted to keep the default settings, so I didn't make any additional setting changes. I will give my machine some time before considering this the solution but I am pretty confident at this point it will work.

Thanks for the help baltwo, much appreciated!

Oct 10, 2012 4:41 PM in response to baltwo

i have the opposite problem... i would like to use custom Energy Saver settings but they will not "stick." instead they keep returning to the default settings. i followed the advice on this thread, thinking it might solve my problem too. but it did not. any suggestions?

i had one hunch - that it might have something to do with the file of same name but with ~orig at the end (see image below). should i remove the other file as well?

User uploaded file

thanks!

Energy saver settings do not stick when set in system preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.