Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send mail with WiFi on-ok with only 3G running

Using AT&T 3G network, Time Warner RoadRunner via Airport Express. I can download ok with both wifi and 3G running. But when I try to send, the msg just sits in th Outbox. IPhone 4 with latest OS. I'm using MS Entourage on my iMac as POP server. I can access mail fine on the phone. Everything works except the Send hangs in the Outbox until I turn WiFi on the phone to OFF. A hung message will send moments after turning the wifi off

Posted on May 24, 2011 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2011 5:46 AM

What is your RoadRunner SMTP server set to? Try using mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com, set to use your RR email address and password as authentication, Use SSL OFF, Server Port 597.

10 replies

May 25, 2011 9:33 AM in response to GZukes

When I used mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com it failed to send. It put the message in the Outbox and said the sender address xxxxxxx@cinci.rr.com was rejected by the server.

I think that's because my roadrunner email is on the cinci.rr.com server and not the roadrunner.com server

I had it set up:

mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com

SSL off

Authentication: Password checked

server port 587 <-----note it wouldn't accept 597 here. The 587 port is there in all mail servers once they verify

In order for my mail to work with AT&T's network, I had to make their server the Primary:

Primary Server: cwmx.com

SSL off

Server Port 25

Authentication" Password checked

I've tried all these below as Secondary servers

smtp-server.cinci.rr.com

SSL off

server port 587

smtp-server.roadrunner.com

SSL off

server port 587

mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com

SSL off

server port 587

May 25, 2011 9:56 AM in response to pgoodwin

Port 597 was a typo. It should be 587.

My mail account is also on the cinci.rr.com server and my incoming mail server is set to pop-server.cinci.rr.com, but my SMTP server is set to mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com. My user name is set to xxxxxxx@cinci.rr.com. My password is my email password for my roadrunner account.

I suggest you re-enter your password and try again using mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com as the SMTP server. If you still can't send, you should contact RoadRunner tech support for help.

One very long shot is to put smtp-server.cinci.rr.com:587 as the SMTP server.

May 25, 2011 11:14 AM in response to GZukes

boy - I've tried this every which way and nothing will let me send with other than 3G with the AT&T server as prime.

When it wasn't prime, I couldn't send with AT&T but I could with the smtp-server.roadrunner.com

AT&T was very helpful in getting the 3G to work, and they stated that roadrunner was one of the hardest ISPs to get set up and working. Very sharp gal helped me, but when we ended the call, we had not checked whether I could send with Wifi on.

May 25, 2011 2:03 PM in response to GZukes

thanks for the help.. I stumbled onto the fix. Here's how I finally got it to work.

I turned the Primary Outgoing server (which was the AT&T) to OFF

I entered the cwmx.com AT&T server in as an "Other" server and turned it ON. I used no User Namer or Password, set to Server Port 25

I also entered smtp-server.cinci.rr.com as an "Other" server and turned it ON. I used no User Namer or Password, Set to Server Port 587

both of these are using Password authentification (which ironically the server doesn't support, but if you just hit OK when the error message comes up and save the configuration, it works)

It will send & receive on either 3G or Wifi or with both of them turned ON.

Nov 28, 2013 8:21 AM in response to pgoodwin

Thank you for this solution. It's been bugging me for a long time now and now it's fixed - almost...

By doing this, it always skips the wifi and uses your cellular data plan to send mail. Does anyone know if there is a way to have it actually use the wifi to send mail? You can verify that it is using the cellular data account by turning cellar data off. When you do this, it can't send mail anymore.

Can't send mail with WiFi on-ok with only 3G running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.